God said, thou shall have no other Gods before me. does that mean there are other Gods?

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 8:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My take on that is that He does not want us worshiping false gods/idols, like the whole deal with the golden calf.
    andrrrea

Answer by andrrrea at 8:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• No, it means he is THE God the one and only and believing in any other "thing" or "person" is wrong.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You can make a "God" out of anything you do that you spend too much time with or obsessed with. It can be a person, place, or thing, anything that you put above God.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• There are other spirit beings that people probably thought were gods. As well as Pharos were often thought to be gods. And people often hold things that they concider valuable too tightly, etc. So, my take on this commandment is to put nothing that we concider valuable before the real God.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I guess it depends who you ask..A hindu will not have the same answer as a Jew or a Muslim. Etc etc etc...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 8:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thanks that makes sense. I know native americans had different God's. so it made me curious. i didn think there where but it never hurts to ask.
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would say yes.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes of course... The bible lists quite a few of them in fact! That has always been one of the many scriptures which only backed up my Pagan Beliefs - which I find to be kinda ironic...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Honda is correct. for instance, if you're a christian, and a football fanatic, and you decide to stay home from church for every game, you're putting football in front of God, thus, football is your idol, or your "god".
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't believe so - but then again I believe all perceptions of God are the same God, if that makes sense...

I do believe it is possible to put things ahead of our relationship with God, to "worship" these other things in a way that is detrimental to our spirituality, our relationships with other people, and even our lives.... That is what I believe this verse was talking about, though at the time there were other peoples who believed in "different" gods, so back then it probably did mean other gods in that understanding...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2011