SHOULD I PRESS CHARGES?

I have never been thru this moms,

ever...we finally got a new car, it took us 8 years of repairing bad credit to get it and now its damaged on the passenger side, due to a fight that broke out in the apt complex

MY question is,

THERE are 4 witnesses saying that this certain apt and their residence did it,

the 4th witness called the police orginally saying that their were 30+ kids in the parking lot beating the heck out of each other and slamming them into my new car,

continued

LexsiesMommy

Asked by LexsiesMommy at 12:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Money & Work

• You know what, you worked hard to repair your credit and got yourself a new car. I know how hard it is to do that. And because of some stupid teenagers acting irresponsibly, something you worked really hard for is damaged. YES, I think you should file a police report, and press charges, especially since you have witnesses that will tell the truth. Maybe when those parents have to fork over the money to repair your new car they will make their kids get a job to pay them back and it will teach them the value of money and to be responsible for their actions!!
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 12:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• She is willing to go to the police,she tried calling the managment of the complex no answer ..but i got off the phone with them their giving her a call asap,

Now my husband is talking to the father the parents were gone that night,

and he had no idea what happend until my husband told him hey what the heck!

so now,

What will happen,??

SHOULD we prosocute??

What will happen if we did ...or didnt...

i mean they should be in trouble...their only 16-17 years old they knew better,

but the parents would be held responsible.
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 12:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You're right, the parents will be held responsible, but that's not your problem. They should have made sure their kid was responsible enough to be left home alone, and clearly he was not. If you don't have them cover this, your insurance will go up. If it were me, I'd press charges in a heart beat.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I would definately talk to your Insurance Agent about how to handle this. I really wouldn't know, but would assume that a police report would have to be filed in order to try to collect from the insurance agent... but would that fall under renters or your apartment building's owner's policy? I really couldn't say.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• well if your husband is talking to the father he should find out if the parents of these children are willing to pay for the damages. give them a chance to make it right if not then i would move forward criminally
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I would, I don't know too much about it, but they can be held responsible for the cost of the repairs, and it's not fair to you. The parents are responsible, it is their minors that were left unattended, and damaged your property.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I would have your insurance handle it. They are going to fix your car anyway, so get your car fixed and let them decide what to do. If you are on good terms with the parents, let them know your plans, so they are not surprised if your insurance comes after them. But after making your claim, stay out of it, that's why we all pay insurance premiums, so we don't have to deal with messes like this.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• We called the police when we found out ...it happened at night on the 15th. And we didnt find out until the morning of ... I feel awful...because those people leave their kids alone all the dang time..and the youngest is like 7... and pup...no hon i just moved into the apt i didnt get insurance on the apt yet, although i have full coverage, on the car....but we asked the office... and they said they are not responsible,

The Dad asked my husband, Well what do you want to do about this etc,

And then he said he'd take care of it?

Hubby said i dont know what to do i have to wait to hear from the detective,

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 12:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• We made a claim already...when we didnt know who did this ...
    when we first found out...

:(

so i dont know what the heck...to do....i dont want the insurance to go up...
    im 8 months prego due in dec, by c-section..hubs is laid off as of now..and thats what we could afford is. the car ..rent...insurance, bills...and xmas for the little lexie loo. but we have to pay 400 to insurance, we were switching but we are locked into the policy now, :(
    and we owe 400 by the 4th of dec, and we cant get our money back from the 2nd insurance co. their igving us 150 out of 270...back..which is better than nothing
    we didnt sign the papers, to cancell the policy because i went into false labor, and went to the er, and two days later it happens...and so now we are locked into the expensive policy...

i have a tummy ache...
    thanks mommys for your support
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 12:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• absolutely! punk kids have no respect! you should deffinately press charges and even file a civil suit against the teens and their parents if you do not get the resolution you are looking for!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2008