Vet expense

I have a single friend who is working very hard to get out of debt. She took her 10 year old cat to the vet this afternoon because she thought he had a cyst on his leg. The vet said that it was just a fatty cyst and did not need any treatment. But he found that the cat had a heart murmur. He did blood tests to see if it is a thyroid problem. Over a $100. He said that if it was thyroid it could be treated with medicine. If not, she would have to bring the cat back for an EKG, etc. and it would be $300.
I don't say it to her, but she would not have even found it out if she hadn't taken him in for the fatty growth which is nothing. He seems fine with the murmur. But the vet thinks it is very serious. I do not know if I would take the cat back for more tests.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 8:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Some animals have heart murmurs and can live with them, much like some people. She doesn't have the money to spend on the 10 year old cat and testing for potential problems that aren't appearing to be causing him difficulty. As long as he is comfortable and happy, she should not spend the money running the tests, if she doesn't have it.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would take him back and have it fixed ONLY because now the vet has said something and I know about it. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'd take the cat back in a heart beat.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree with spottedpony, additionally at the cats age what is she willing to treat? It's fairly normal for a senior pet to develop a heart murmur. I have a dog that has done the same thing, but because I wouldn't treat anything in a 13 year old dog's heart we did no further testing.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 2:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• To me, 10 yrs old is not old for a cat...it isn't unusual for them to live 20 yrs or more. I personally would go back for the testing. Maybe she could look into carecredit to help pay for it.

CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:37 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• If its the bill get insurance or a discount card.

Our pet program provides discounts for veterinary care, contact me if you would like to get info.

If you have a prescription discount card(not insurance) most pharmacists will be kind enough to use them for your pet too(not pet meds only for pets), it works for medications that humans use that pets use too.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:21 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• my cat which i'm not sure of the age. my mother and i estimate between 10-13 yrs old cause her dog is the same age as my cat. when i went to the vet cause he was limping she said he has a heart murmur and that age could be playing a factor in it. she didn't say anything about the thyroid. personally i think a lot of things a vet suggest are useless and they do this just to make money. i think if she thinks that cat is fine then why bother with it. i wasn't told of any treatments to deal with the heart murmur. the vet did say it was a moderate heart murmur & not just a tiny one. i use care credit & they are now doing 0 interest for any amount of money. less then $500 i think you have 3 months more then that 6 months and so on and so fourth. maybe some vets want to go out of their way to provide the best alternatives but sometimes it's just not nessacary(sp) personally i wouldn't. there are more important things to spend the $on
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• like kids, home and car and gas just keeps going up in price.
    melody77