Do any of your LO's have a fetish with eating or chewing wood?

My LO has stripped his crib and has chewed on our coffee table and tries to eat anything wood! Odd yes I know, need help!!!

Amanda11810

Asked by Amanda11810 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is he teething? they like to chew on wood when they're teething because it's firm but has a little give to it. but does he actually eat the wood? because that could puncture his intestines if he swallows a big enough splinter...
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My 16month old did the same thing to his crib... but doesn't do it on anything else.. i would check into "pica" Its a disorder where people eat non food items!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 9:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• After my son learned to stand in his crib he gnawed on the wood like crazy. I was really concerned about it, but my sister said that her son did the same thing when he was teething. I would mention it to the doctor, espically if he is eating it. But if not, its probably just due to teething. Try to offer him something else hard like a cold carrot, or teething biscuits.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2011