Can anyone help explain this to me? Formula vs breasmilk

I see on the cans of formula that its as close to breast milk as ever or something along those lines and Im wondering how that is when the formula companies just found bug parts in there canned powder formula not too long ago? Even without the bugs the formula will never be what breast milk is and yes Im a breast feeding mom if you cant tell already :)

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's saying it's closer to breast milk than it was before....it's not saying how close it is lol. it also says breastmilk is best
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It's says CLOSE to breast milk. it doesn't say it IS breast milk. Really!!

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• hehe did i get a downvote for typing what it clearly says on the can? that breastmilk is best? honest it does say that on the can....go look
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• That's ok, princessbeth, I voted you up. I saw what you posted after I posted the same thing.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree with the other posters. Formula is CLOSE to breast milk, but isn't. The chemical compound is getting closer and closer to breast milk, but is NOT identical. I used both. When my kids weaned themselves at 9 months old I had to do SOMETHING and formula was it. The biggest thing/push for breast milk and formula and whole milk and and all that is the fat content. Babies and young children need the extra fat for brain development.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• chemically wise its getting close to breast milk BUT formula can NEVER give your baby those immunity boosters they get from bm!!!
    Granolamama3795

Answer by Granolamama3795 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think, but I'm not sure, that the WHO has guidelines about them putting "breast is best" on the cans. So for marketing purposes, because they want you to buy the formula, not breastfeed, they're going to put that the formula is as close to breastmilk as ever because they could give a shit if that's true or not. They just want you to buy it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thank you for all that responded and I just walked pass a can the other day while shopping and was a little surprised they had that labled on there that its almost as good as breast milk but some of you are right, key word ALMOST
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• And no I have never seen breast is best or however they word it on the formula cause I never have bought it but is sure didnt say that in bold letters on the front lol. I just think its very misleading but allot of what we buy is just that.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Comment by LANDENSMOMMYlmk (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• The back of the can says breastmilk is best but if you choose to use formula check with your doctor about such and such kind
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 11, 2011