How often

I'm a first time mom, and have looked everywhere to figure out some sort of schedule as for when and how often to feed my son solids. We just started today on baby food, although he has been getting cereal from a spoon for about 3 weeks now. He eats cereal at his first feeding around 7:30 and then again at the last one around 11:30pm. Do I continue feeding cereal and do baby food in between, do I switch to baby food at those times...etc etc!? I know he's only supposed to get about a teaspoon when starting out and he ate it all with a smile on his face for lunch! Any tips on how you did things when you first started out feeding from spoon would be great.

Thanks in advance

bigtrucksgirl

Asked by bigtrucksgirl at 12:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just added an extra feeding at a time. My son was eating cereal in the morning and night and then I just added a lunch. After about 2 months he started eating dinner too. The cereal is still good for them because it has a lot of iron and other vitamines in it that the baby food doesn't have. Remember, baby food is just practice. Practice to learn to eat, and for their digestive system so it he doesn't want to eat it, and just wants the formula/milk and cereal it's ok.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I just interchanged them. Cereal, babyfood, etc.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 12:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I mixed the cerel and food together is makes it more filling. As for the only one teaspoon thing I have never heard of it. But do make sure your only try one new food a day until all are tested so that if he has a food allergy you cna single it out. As for scedual feed him whenever you would normally give him a meal.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 12:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I was giving my daughter 3 meals a day, cereal mixed with baby food. I though it would help the taste of the cereal. However, I believe it was too much cereal as she became constipated. So I started only giving the cereal in the morning and baby food the other two meals.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 12:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You only introduce 1 new food every 3-4 days not everyday.

I started out with only cereal once a day for about 6 weeks, then introduced a new "meal" about every 6 weeks, just to allow him to adjust in the amount of food eaten. Just follow your gut if you think he can handle more give it too him, but dont make him eat anything other than formula is not necessary at this stage. HTH
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 1:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i started my son out about 2 months ago..
    we starte dwith stage one baby food 2 Oz..and fed him once a day for 2 weeks..depending on how he was feeling..we mixed in a bit of cereal or oatmeal to thicken it up..then we gave him a 4 oz bottle..
    after 2 weeks we moved on twice a day feeding of baby food..one at lunch one at dinner..
    he loved it and di great iwth it oh and i wouldnt give him cereal from a spoon in between feedings.. it might be too much to start out with..just do the bottles inbetween babyfood mixed with cereal
    now..hes on stage 2 twice a day lol..but that may be too quick for u..
    baiscally just start out with 2 oz of baby food and see how ur LO does with it..and go from there
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 10:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2008