How to you wean your baby from breast to bottle?

I heard of this self-wean?? Hmm...Does anybody know what that is? My baby girl is so needy (oh boy!), she is 5 months and still eats every 2 hours still. Is this normal?

ohgoshism

Asked by ohgoshism at 9:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Self weaning means you wait til the baby decides he prefers not to nurse any more, and favors cups (not usually a bottle)
    If you want to switch to a bottle simply start replacing nursing sessions with a bottle one at a time til he's on a bottle full time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• This is totally normal for a 5 month old! In a few months when she is eating solids her breastfeeding needs will start to decrease. I say hang in there mama!
    When people refer to self weaning they are talking about babies over one year of age.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I pretty much had no choice, I was taking birth control and it killed my milk supply so I had to start on bottles but it was an easy transition thank goodness. My baby ate every couple hours at five months so for me it was normal =P I think it depends on the baby though.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• That's not needy, that's normal infant behavior. It's GOOD she eats frequently, it's how they are designed. If she ate less frequently she'd have to stretch out her stomach in order to hold enough food and that can lead to chronic overeating and obesity. It can also cause digestive upset and lots of spit up!

Self weaning typically happens after 2 years of age... before that and it's not really self-weaning. If you wanted to wean her now, you would have to lead it by replacing feedings at the breast with bottles (small bottles). Switch one feeding a week until done. But remember, you still have to do the work of feeding her... except now you have the added expense of formula and bottles, etc... you have the added work of making the bottles, carrying it all everywhere with you and stopping whatever you're doing to feed her, PLUS all the extra dishes.

Not my cup of tea! I'd stick with nursing frequently!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 9:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Self weaning does not happen this early. Self weaning refers to when you let the baby nurse until they no longer wish to continue, typically in year 2 or 3. Anything this young is not baby lead weaning, it's parent led. Nursing every 2 hours IS normal, but if you truly wish to wean at this age, which I would not recommend, you would probably find the best method to be replacing one nursing session per week with formula. This allows for gradual weaning, which will be easier on your baby, and your body.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 10, 2011