How do I control my teenagers?

They are completely out of control and I don't know what to do. I have been a single parent all my adult life and with my younger 2 boys I am so lost. They are so different than my older 2. My older 2 had respect for me and these 2 don't , even a little bit. I don't get any child support and work all the time and just started getting garnished ....again...last week!!! They don't ever want for anything. I spoil them to death. We have every game system (which I recently have taken away), they have internet and cable and all the good food they could ever want. I am so lost and I want them to turn out good. Please help!! Cathy
Cath

Coney721

Asked by Coney721 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• you said it your self. You spoil them to death.
    Anonymous

• That's probably it. I'd take away the "toys" and make them EARN it all back with good behaviour.
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 9:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You can't really control your kids, all you can do is try to guide them or influence them to make the right decisions. Being consistent with your threats.  Picking and choosing your battles is a good plan.  Maybe your giving them too much and they need to learn to earn things.  These of course are just suggestions.  Don't know the specifics of what is going on, so that is all I can give is suggestions.  Good luck.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 9:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree, you can't control them but you can guide them. You said yourself that you spoil them, you need to STOP!!! Take all the systems away and make them earn them back. Be consistent, choose your battles wisely. Have your older 2 kids talk to the younger kids. Don't use being a single parent as an excuse for kids to be disrespectful or for having a hard time with your kids because there are millions of us that are in the same situation but we raised our kids unspoiled and respectful. I am not bashing either, just pointing out the truth.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I am so sorry for the pain you are feeling. I have three children and two teens. I feel like I lost the mother of the year award years ago and will never get it back. My oldest 16 boy is my spawn of satin... Sad for me to say that.... He is OUT OF CONTROL! My 14 girl is trying to see how far she can push me then she goes back to the other side of line when she see's she is not gonna get far. I don't understand what I did so wrong to deserve the things my child put me threw. Please god help us all...
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 2:39 AM on Feb. 14, 2011