Should companies be able to fire you for writing negative things about your employer?

btw..........not my situation.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes.  You are a part of that company.  If you don't like your job, find another one.  Of course, bashing employers in this day and age sounds just plain silly to start with.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• In my opinion, yes. As an employee, you are representative of your place of employment. If you trash the place, you are not a good representative. Hence, you should not be working there any more.
    If you are going to smack talk where you work, do it anon so no one knows who it is.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• ABSOLUTELY!! Ones comments can cost a company money and/or their reputation! Why would a company want to keep an employee who is costing them money--especially in THIS economy when there are so many better qualified people out there looking?!?

I swear these social networking sites and Twitter are going to ensure that no one under 25 ever gets hired or keep their job for long!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think so yes, but there should be a line. I mean, people are going to say their boss is too hard, or the benefits could be better... but truly bashing a company's reputation is slander... Besides if it sucked that bad they wouldn't mind having the opportunity to leave right?
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 2:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• No. Companies should treat people in a way where employees want to speak well of them. If an employer doesn't like being dissed, they should change what the employees are complaining about.
    Anonymous

• Yes.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It depends on where the comment was made. I think it was made on a personal facebook page or blog, that companies shouls stay out of their employees private affairs. If they did it on company time or to purposefully cause the company problems, then that's a different story.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes, it is usually spelled out in the employee handbook - that is a no-no.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2011