• In the Spotlight:

Hot Jobs/Career Builder

I am currently looking for a job and I recently registered with Hot Jobs because that is who my local paper uses for their online classifieds. I have received a ton of spam and scam jobs. Has anyone had any luck with these websites? How do I stop the spam/scams?

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 9:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• When you find a job, look for a company name. Google that company name and check their employment area. Never respond to a blind box ad with your Resume. You can also email them and ask them for additional information. If they send you something asking you to fill out a credit app, delete and block them. Also, when you do search those sites, enter your area in for the search, but also enter in your exact town in the search terms, that way it usually only brings up actual jobs from your area. I completely understand what you are saying though, it's like that on all ads on Craigslist too.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I haven't had luck with those sites but other people must or they wouldn't exist. I have gotten all of my jobs (4) through professional networking. If you go to barnesandnoble.com and search for "professional networking" there are some good books on the topic.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 2:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I found my current job through Career Builder, but that was almost 7 years ago.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Years ago, when I had my resume posted, the same thing happened. My suggestion for you is to continue to the use the sites for your job searching but remove your resume. If you have it set on private, no one will be able to contact you.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:35 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Don't forget USA jobs and check the county, city and state.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Let www.indeed.com search the job boards for you

Answer by rkoloms at 9:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2011