My dd was gone for two hours, and I swear it felt like a lifetime!! Is this normal?

I was feeling really ill today, so my s.o. came over and took our 2.5 year old on a little outing (they went to the grocery store with his mom and picked up a few things my dd and I needed). They were going for two hours. The first hour, I was ok with her being gone, but the second hour seemed like forever! I missed her so much. I called my s.o. several times to see when he was going to bring her home. I even waited by the door, listening for her little baby footsteps. When I finally saw her, I was so happy and relieved to have her home!!!

How am I ever going to let her go to Head Start (possibly this summer) if I can't even be apart from her for two hours??

Is it normal for me to feel so anxious when my daughter is not with me, even though she was with her dad and grandma?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes!! I feel this way too. I just keep telling myself she is fine and try not to send too many "how are things going" texts. My daughter is younger than yours so I can't tell you if it will go away with time.. but I can tell you you are not alone in feeling this way. I think it is just a mommy thing. Even though we know they are with people who will take very good care of them.. it's not us... and we can't see what they are doing or what is being done with them. It's natural. I hope for both of us that is gets easier with time : )
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yep. I'm the same way. I'm a sahm and I'm used to being around my son just about 24/7. Occasionally I'll let my mom watch him for a few hours and I feel so ALONE while he's gone, lol. I think it's a sign that you're a good mommy. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes I felt the same way with my kids and I still do at times but it will get easier as they get older. Now I look forward to a little peace and quiet when my son is in school.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't know if it's normal, but I absolutely experience it as well, even with my 9 year old.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2011