What can i do to help my troubled son?

he has adhd and gets in trouble at home and in school. i've tried counseling, therapy, you name it, i've tried it. i'm looking for some help.

lisha83

Asked by lisha83 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son was diagnosed with it and loses focus, can't sit still, and drives me insane at times. I noticed the busier his schedule the harder it is for him to maintain. I started quiet time where we all sit as a family and talk about our day and relax with the phone ringer off, no tv or games, and just quiet. I tried therapy and medication. After 6 months on meds, he wanted off, his self-esteem was very low, and I tried it this year and he started middle school and no behavior problems. I think they just need to relax their minds some and slow down which is very hard for us all at times. Good luck and hope you find the best solution.
    ConnectHearts

Answer by ConnectHearts at 9:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• it is my personal opinion that no matter ADHD or other medical or non-medical condition or reason everyone has a reason for doing things. . . I am sorry if I am being a bit confusing but try to bare with me a moment. . .
    Your son is old enough to form his own opinions and knows what is right and wrong regardless of ADHD. He has the ability to speak. TALK TO HIM. HONESTLY AND COMPASSIONATELY. Don't be judgy or . . . just listen to what he has to say. He is a person as well as your son. . .it could be as simple as needing to know you are there and will listen to him.
    Anonymous

• he's been on medication for 3 yrs. now he's in truble at school all the time. today he picked on the mentally challeged student. i didn't raise my son to be like that. i'm just so confused and don't know where to turn next.
    lisha83

Comment by lisha83 (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Is he on any medications? What is he doing in school to get in trouble? I know that most ADHD children are kinesthetic learners, which means they learn by DOING. Maybe he could take a stress ball to school, or you could talk to his teachers about providing some things in the curriculum that would help him learn in that way. You can talk with him, about whats going on his head that makes him get in trouble at school, have him keep a journal to get out some of that extra energy stiring inside of him, and he can go back on reflect on his week etc. Hope I was of any help to you!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 9:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• ~*Hugs*~... seeks help, try to avoid labels and shoving pills if possible... might just be he doesn't fit the mold like every other kid? I learned the hard way with my eldest, and was naïve… listened to a teacher that thought she was a doctor, had Kaiser and they give pills like candy to avoid doing actual work… he went from a 220 IQ to below normal after 5 different labels, countless medication, and finally Sutter did their job and he was absolutely normal… just different and didn’t fit a mold like schools prefer.

Sometimes backing off, basic therapy, and a lot of time help… Mine was like a completely different kid after puberty! It was like Junior High hit and I got the kid I kept fighting to have.
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Pull him out and homeschool him.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Have you had an IEP with the school? My son, now 17, has ADHD, OCD, Anxiety and Tourette's. We've had IEP's since Kindergarten. It's imperative that you get together with the school staff and have a working game plan to best meet the needs of your son.

And if he's on medications and still having problems, you need to work with his dr. to make changes. It can be quite a challenge to find the right medications and combinations at times to work for each child. They didn't all come from the same mold and each is individual with individual needs.

If you need/want my help with getting an IEP started, or have any questions I can help you with, please feel free to send me a message.

Good Luck!
    5150mama

Answer by 5150mama at 4:13 AM on Feb. 19, 2011