A pregnant woman was given the wrong pills at a pharmacy;

after she took it she realized it was for someone with a similar name who was born in 1953. the meds could cause some serious birth defects but all she can do right now is wait and see. she is very worried. the pharmacy offered to pay for any medical bills IF the baby comes out with a defect. IF the baby is fine do you think she should still sue for pain and suffering/mental anguish ? because she is worried everyday and playing the waiting game...

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I think she should.  In a job such as that, people need to actually PAY ATTENTION! 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I heard about this this morning on our local radio station. TRAGIC is the first word that crossed my mind. How on eath could a pharmacy make such an awful mistake. The waiting game is going to make her crazy. She should not have to sue the pharmacy should give her a settlement and not put her through anything else. Poor woman.
    Annasofia

Answer by Annasofia at 9:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i would sue because this is a personal hell the mother has to face until she finds out if indeed her child will have a life long complication
    bobbys4eva

Answer by bobbys4eva at 9:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes, it is horrible it happened. But she saw on the bottle that the first name was wrong. She was told by the pharmacist when they gave her the bottle that it was NOT safe for pregnant women. She STILL took it. A mistake was made by both of them.

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 10:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• yeah, i read that article. it can also cause miscarriage in early pregnancy and she is only 7 weeks. so i hope things go fine, but it doesn't look good. i really feel the pharmacist should be fired. they didn't adhere to the safety protocol and i think that should be a zero tolerance offense.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• We talked about this yesterday. YES! She should sue! For one thing, she should sue for malpractice, if that's applicable here. It was gross negligence on the pharm techs part to give her that script. Or the actual pharmacist, if they are the one that rang her up.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• The medication she took was for Rheumatoid Arthritis and also used as a cancer drug, methotrexate. She took one pill and went straight to ER. Big health mistake and Hippa violation on top. I know mistakes happen but as a tech it is my duty to make damn sure the prescription I count out and put in that bottle is correct, but ultimately it falls on the pharmacist to make sure it's the correct drug and count. The person whose job is on the line and will be fired if not already fired is the person who actually took the prescription to her and sold it. First thing before selling a script is asking DOB, and verify name. The pharmacy where this person worked EFFED up big time. Not only lawsuits will prevail but also major fines from the govt. from HIPPA violations!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:07 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• The fault is equally shared. The pharmacy made an error in giving her the wrong bottle, but I never take a pill from a new prescription that I don't check the label myself. People make mistakes. I am ultimately responsible for myself. She should have looked before she took the medicine. One mistake cancels out the other.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Oh definitely. When working in the pharmacy, attention to detail is crucial. Just as two people can have similar names, some drugs can be similar as well so it's important to pay close attention to both...even the smallest mistake, can be fatal to someone.
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 11:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2011