Independent sleeper turned whiney and needy?

My son is 2 1/2 and within the time frame of just a few days my indpendent little sleeper has turned a nasty corner and is suddenly needy of us to the point of tears if we dont come. Ever since he was 3 months old he's gone to bed like a champ with very few tweaks to the routine as needed (like no more bedtime bottle and adding in teeth brushing when he got his first) so now it goes like this: playtime with mommy and daddy, brush teeth, fresh diaper, PJs if not already in them, book and bed with music and fan on.

Suddenly we cannot shut his door or he'll scream like he's scared (and our place is small... our living room is near feet for his room) and instead of taking 15-20 min to fall asleep its close to 2 hours now and full of tears and distress.

He's a late talker so h.e can't tell us what's wrong and if we ask him in promts (are you scared? do your ears hurt?) he just repeats the last word we said....

I'm at a loss as what to do here as he's always been a littlr trooper at bedtime and this is so sudden and new. I dont want to encourage this but then I also don't want to ignore this either incase it really does have to do wih him being afraid of something

Nothing's changed.... no new bed, no new routines, no stress....he's just suddenly afraid and unable to go to sleep easily anymore (which also means he wont entertain himself in
the morning anymore upon waking for like 15-20 min)

He still naps 1-2 hours in the afternoon.....and I'm thinking sadly of taking that away hoping it'll help....but how to I get to be able to close the door again?

I'm one confused momma right now..

stephanieplante

Asked by stephanieplante at 9:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't take the nap away. You'll end up with an over tired child with the same issues, which will make it worse.

Just sit quietly in his room or in the hall and let him know that you are there. My middle child did something similar for about a month when she was the same age. It seemed like forever. I just kept doing the same thing every night - sat in the hall outside her room with a book. Eventually I just stopped doing it and she stopped crying about me not being there. She wasn't a late talker but still couldn't tell us what she needed aside from mommy being close.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Sometimes they go thru that. Growth spurts tend to be when I notice sleeping issues. It will pass and it will take some patience.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• He is probably scared of something or has had bad dreams. I remember being terrified at a very young age of the bedroom closet! Why not sit by his bed when he gets like this until he falls back asleep. He'll grow out of it eventually.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It seems like he has started realizing that some things seem scary at night time, especially since kids have over active imaginations. We had to spend extra time calming our DD when she was feeling fearful. we did use a bright night light which help create less shadows in the room . I removed stuff animals and other items that casted shadows in the room that may seem scary to a little one.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• the whole deal lasted like 2 weeks. we are finally back to normal. 8 0 )
    stephanieplante

Comment by stephanieplante (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2011