What's with the fear of everything?

Am I the only one who drank Kool-aid as a child, ate McDonald's , rarely had organic foods...and survived? Not to mention, I've always been very healthy and at a good weight.

I'm sorry, this is sort of a vent, but I don't get the over-kill on everything these days. While I do limit sugar and try to feed my child as best as possible, I know that eventually he'll probably have Kool-aid, non-watered down juice, chocolate milk, and even *gasp* McDonald's.

My parents never went overboard on the restrictions, and guess what? We PREFERRED healthy foods. I would have rather had turnip greens than candy, because candy wasn't forbidden. On the contrary, my friends who were never allowed any"junk" would stuff themselves on it whenever given the chance.

I guess I'm not a "perfect" mom, and I don't have a parenting "style", but so be it. I refuse to live in fear of everything non-organic and sugar-free. Any other mamas out there like me?

:)

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• ~*Smiles*~... I was telling my husband JUST LAST NIGHT... swear... kids are no longer allowed to be kids!!! What is the point in having a child if they are forced to be a mini adult, or bond up in fear, and never allowed to actually "live"

My kids are sick right now, and I feel it is building up their immune systems!!! We lost out on bug hunting with the gear we bought... but soon they will be better and we'll safri hunt bugs!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Amen. I totally agree. It's getting out of control! Let them live a little and have a little fun.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• This is the "will the real moms please stand up", lol.  I agree, ha ha!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thank God I am not alone. :-)
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It's not out of control for parents and children who are obese (and obesity is at an all time high, isn't it like 25% or more of americans are obese? I should look it up). In any case, it's not a big deal to you because you understand the importance of balance, while many others do not, and rarely eat vegetables or feed them to their kids.

there is a severe need to send the correct message to people about proper nutrition.

Eating McDonald's and drinking kool-aid isn't hurting you because you are eating turnip green too! But for many americans ... this is what they live off of, lots of processed food, high fat, bad carbs, tons of sugar, etc. So, we HAVE to reach out and try to teach them.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• A-MEN!

I am so with you on this one
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 10:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'm with you 100%. I don't care if people want to judge me because I take my kiddies to McD's for a cheeseburger, or because I bake cupcakes for no reason and let my kids eat them. They eat healthy home cooked meals 5-6 days a week, why not let them indulge once in a while too.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• well....when i was growing up nothing was off limits either. we could have sweets, etc. if we chose. once a week we got fast food. we had to eat our veggies. my whole family was morbidly obese. my mother is dead because of it (she had a massive heart attack at 46yo). we all still struggle with weight problems. they have done many studies on food, chemicals, diet, etc. since i was a kid. i think that it is important for me to keep those findings in mind. i don't buy all organic, but there are certain foods it makes a difference in (other foods it doesn't so that's just a waste of money). i stay away from transfats and hydrogenated oils because i want to be around to see my kids graduate from college, get married, and have grandchildren.....things that my mom missed out on. yes, i survived my childhood, but i can make better choices for my children. i'm not crazy about it, but i have more healthy options for dessert, snack etc
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was such a horrible mother! McDonalds occassionaly, homemade cakes and cookies after school, cinnamon toast and hot choc on a cold snowy morning while watching cartoons. Yes, a horrible mother I was, lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I agree with you!! it's all about moderation and balance. My kids are both uber skinny, so there is no obesity worry with them at all. Infact, I only buy whole milk now for the kids, they NEED that fat lol. I do try and limit the sugar because dental work is expensive. But my kids are 17 and 11, so not really an issue. Also when I cook dinner, it's done from scratch mostly. I don't buy pre-packaged meals. I buy fresh or frozen veggies.But somedays I don't wanna be a cook, then it's fend for yourself night, and the kids make whatever they want
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2011