I overheard the following conversation at work among a group of men...what's your reaction?

A group of fairly senior executives at work were having a private discussion about the Company's performance. One complained to another that Jane (hypothetical name) is not getting him timely information, the other responded "Jane doesn't know anything. She leaves at 5 everyday while the rest of us are still working our axses off". I was completely offended by that, even though it had nothing to do with me. First of all, the perception is that this mom leaves at 5 therefore she doesn't work as hard, meanwhile this particular group of men sit around all day, talk about fantasy football, baseball, etc. delaying to go home b/c they don't want to help their wives with the kids...Secondly, I almost wanted to stick my head out of my office and said to them "why don't you worry about doing your job instead worrying about what time Jane leaves. If her leaving early causes such a problem, why don't you just tell her to her face, instead of talking smack behind her back"...I stayed out of the situation and left at 5:30...so the name could have easily been substituted with my name. Would you have responded? What's your reaction to the situation?

Olivia4116

Asked by Olivia4116 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• It is called corporate culture. If the guy on top is a hang out and don't go home type, he will hire more of himself and so or. It isn't good for business, but that is how it happens. Learn everything you can from the job you are in. When you get a chance to move to a company that feels that if you can't get your work done by 5 or 5:30 that you must be wasting time where you will fit in better.  That company will have a better bottom line and be in a position to compensate you for your contribution.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I may have stuck my head out the door and said something like, "I can hear you, might I suggest you take this conversation elsewhere since it doesn't reflect well on management"....other than that, I'd probably stay out of it.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would report something like that to someone above them..... You're so right.. it's none of their business... they know nothing about Jane's situation... and should keep their opinions to themselves. How rude!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 10:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I honestly don't see anything wrong. They stated an opinion, that's it. If you want to get involved ju7st be ready for it. IMO it's not your place and doesn't concern you.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• ~*Wow*~... I think I would be working a little harder, and trying to pretend I never heard it... but at least you have an insight others don't??? I know most might say to stand up, but in this day and age can you afford to look for another job? And hate to state facts, but management are picked because they think and act like those above them... so do you truly want to tattle and have things be worse?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• well i have a question....is there a way that you know her job performance vs. theirs? because your scenario sounds like it is based more on opinion/impression than facts.....so unless i knew without a doubt that 'jane' actually did as much or more work than they did, i wouldn't even form an opinion. if i knew for a fact that she did work harder,  i would think negatively about the men but wouldn't say anything. what would be the point?

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Men gossip more than women in my opinion. I used to see it all the time when I worked in Engineering. They are the worst gossipers I have ever seen. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I used to be "Jane." I had a family to support and wouldn't go to the two hour lunches or stay late. I handled my business and theirs (because they are slackers), therefore I got to go home. These men are jeolous of her and nothing can stop that. They might even fear for their jobs. Right now, with the economy the way it is, CEO's are looking at the ones whom stay late and they are being talked about. The most respected employees do their job, do it well, keep personal issues out and go home.
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 4:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Insensitive jerks.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Stay in front of your own mirror.. :-) Not your problem or business. Besides, people are entitled to their opinions just as you and I are.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Why is Jane's business your business? You are there to work and earn a paycheck and the moment you start complaining to management about things that really have nothing to do with you and are not relevant to the job itself, that's when everyone's opinion of you is going to go down. No one likes a gossip or a tattle-tale. If you say something about it then it's probably going to be you that is talked about the next time and probably you that wont be getting a raise or promotion.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:35 AM on Feb. 10, 2011