Do you feed your older baby the recommended formula?

He gets under 15 oz(I know that is not the recommended amount. I am just throwing out a number lol).
His pedi told me to follow his cues and ds is more into solids than most babies at his age. When I called the office and spoke to a nurse when ds was 6 months(approx.) she said not to worry as long as he has his poops, wet diapers, and is not running a fever. Ds is very healthy, hitting his milestones, and is gaining weight. I am not concerned if he doesn't get the x amount. I know there will be those who will agree and those who will bash me but I know what is best for my child .I have spoken to another mom who said the same thing about babies and formula/solids. Babies will tell us what we need. I don't force down 25+ oz down my ds just to meet some statistic. My question is, am I alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree, as long as baby is thriving I think that is the tell-tale sign that what you are doing is working or not. There is no way that 24 oz can be right for every single baby of a certain age so I think it's a guideline. If the guideline says 24 oz then you shouldn't feel satisfied with 10 oz nor should you bump it up to 40 oz but you should just stay somewhere in the neighborhood of the recommendation and take into consideration the other foods baby is getting. I do think you want to make sure baby is still getting enough vitamins, iron, calcium, etc, that may be in the recommended amount of formula but may not be in the foods that are supplementing the baby's diet. Yes, you want baby to be gaining weight, but also to be growing strong bones and getting enough Vitamin D among others, so a multivitamin may be a good idea, too.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I am with you. YOU do what you feel is best for your baby. Everything you hear from doctors, to WIC, to nurses to pediatric groups are RECOMMENDATIONS, not law. Every child is differnet and responds to things differently.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You always have to do what is right for your child! And it sounds to me like you are doing just that. No one should ever feel like they HAVE to meet a certain quota when it comes to feeding their child. Sounds like he is doing great! Keep up the good work.
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 10:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• They need about 1/2 their weight in milk a day or about 32 oz of formula a day. If your child is giving you the cues that he needs less then go with what he needs.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• no, I breastfeed my son still.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2011