How important is a glider/rocker for nursing?

I am looking into what all I would want/need to prepare our nursery. I have a big comfy club chair that is cute and I always figured I'd put that in the nursery, but I want it to be good for nursing the baby. I see online that rockers and gliders are really popular for that purpose.

What do you use? Would you recommend it?

angelm523

Asked by angelm523 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i had a glider... but to be honest.. i nursed alot while laying in bed.. or on the couch.. Gliders are nice to have but i wouldn't say they are 100% a necessity!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 10:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I used it twice. I felt more comfortable other places in my house outside of the chair as well and the rocking motion of that chair made me dizzy.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was given a beautiful glider at my baby shower, and I have to say, I still use it everyday. We use it when we read stories, when she just wants some cuddling, and if she wakes up at night screaming (we think she has nightmares now. She is 22 months) we use it to help ease her fears and go back to sleep. I always loved it.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 10:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I always preferred nursing on the couch or in bed. I almost never nursed (3 kids) in the rocker/glider.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• hey, imo any comfy chair is good for nursing! i guess rockers/gliders are more popular for the nursery not for nursing so much, but for rocking the baby to sleep since i don't see any advantages they offer over a regular padded chair with arms. i have a lazy boy in my daughters room and i loved it because if i fell asleep it wasn't a big deal lol. i usually had the foot rest up so i wasn't rocking it anyway!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• love our rocker!! i EP so im sure if i was nursing i would of co-sleep so i wouldnt use the rocker as much but my dd likes to b rocked to sleep so the rocker is a must for us!! make sure u get the foot stool too! i cant tell u how many times i have fallen asleep in that thing! its like heaven!! lol!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I didn't need it at all. The boppy pillow was 100% necessary!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• On those late nights, when you haven't the strength to walk, bounce, rock them back to sleep... anything that rocks/glides is AWESOME
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I had one and barely used it with either of my kids and eventually got rid of it cause it was taking up too much space. I used our lazy boy a lot more.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Never used the rocker. Not once. But I had to nurse in a slouched back position so I'd have done better with a recliner had we had one.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2011