Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I / we able to get some sort of public assistance in our positions....

My best friend and I have come to a crossroads in our lives.... we are both stuck in abusive relationships( mostly mental abuse - even though both of them have hit us before)

we both have 2 kids each ( I have a 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son and she has a 3 year old son and an 1 year old son ) . We have both realized that we need to get ourselves and our children away from these men before it gets worse.

We are both 23, we both met them in high school and have never worked ( stay at home moms) , neither of us know how to drive and we just do not know what to do, we live in a very small town where there is no jobs at all ( we only have a gas station, a mcdonalds and a krogers - none of them are hiring, not that either of us has any kind of schooling or work experiance or skills)

I am married to him , and I know my kids and I probably could stay with family but not anything long term. She isnt married and doesn't really have any family around - her mom offered to help her out but she is afriad since it will be in another city in a very BAD neighborhood ( drug infested, police is there several times a day, etc) ...

Of course if we could get away we do both plan on trying to find jobs... but the main part is trying to get some assistance ( like a place to stay and money to live on ) ...

Neither of us really know anything about public assistance

we also live in ohio .

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • i'm not sure how ohio PA works, but here in mass, i went to my local welfare office and applied for assistance. they require ALOT of documentation.....birth certificates for you and your children, SS cards for y'all, and you also need to let them know you are looking for housing as well as counseling. i've been down your road and its a scary place to be alone:( get out before it gets worse; i wish you the best of luck:) they will give you time to get back on your feet once you explain the situation i hope!!!

    Answer by Lovelylis at 10:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • I am going through the same thing. Except I have a job that I started a few months ago but its only per-diem. You most likely can get assistance. Both you I am sure. I don't get very much assistance since my two children ages 4 and 2's father is part of their life. He pays whatever I need him too.. My relationship was mentally abusive very much so! But he loves his children. So I am thinking maybe you should leave and go to a safe place and calls some places to find out about what programs are available. I wish you luck and remember you can do anything!

    Answer by mommyof2_1989 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • Also some places you go you can apply for low income houseing which I live in and I only pay 30% of my income. again I wish you luck and be strong!

    Answer by mommyof2_1989 at 10:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • it dont matter what a persons position is , if you qualify you qualify , and it aint gonna come to you so , make some calls or go to office and fill out paperwork and hopefully you qualify , good luck

    Answer by letstalk747 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • The ONLY way to know is to apply for assistance. Contact a domestic violence or women's shelter and they will be able to help you out more, to leave safely and find housing, skills, etc.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • i forget it now, but i'm sure if you google it- it will come up, call the 1800- domestic hotline number....i've been there, done that and they looked up my area and helped me find resources that would help me. call took five minutes and i got tons of info. i simply called- quickly explained my situation- and they began helping. wish you and your friend luck.

    Answer by lexi8622 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

  • Contact1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.3224 (TTY)
    Anonymous & Confidential Help 24/7

    just copy/pasted- it's the National Domestic Violence Hotline

    Answer by lexi8622 at 11:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.