Is this normal?

My daughter is 17 mos old. She is smart and funny and happy. Sometimes when she gets mad or upset, she kinda of hits her cheek or head. I dont know where she got this from, we dont spank or hit and she isnt around anyone who does that and she doesnt hit other kids. Is she just learning to deal w/ emotions? Thanks!

jessspurr86

Asked by jessspurr86 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was the same way. There is no hitting around here but she still did it. ...
    mommyof2_1989

Answer by mommyof2_1989 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My son has done it out of frustration. I just take his hand and say like, don't hurt your head, and redirect him to something.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thanks :) I have been telling her to be nice to herself, dont hurt mamas baby and redirecting her. It just breaks my heart to see her do it! Hopefully its just a stage!
    jessspurr86

Comment by jessspurr86 (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My son did this for a while. As long as he wasnt doing it hard I just ignored it. And when his actions didn't get him any attention he stopped.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:46 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Mine butted his head on the floor. When he found out it hurt and it still wasn't gonna get him what he wanted, he quit.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• they will do that, just don't make a big deal out of it and it will probably stop
    Tricia2011

Answer by Tricia2011 at 1:10 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• just a new way of dealing with frustration and she will grow out of it.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2011