If you co-slept/shared a room with your child at birth

How old was your child when he or she moved to another room? How far away from where you slept was your child at that time? Was it difficult for you to be further away (or was it difficult for your child)?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 11:24 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• We co-slept with all three babies. They slept in bed with us until they stopped night nursing (somewhere around nine months to a year.) Then they moved to a mattress on the floor... they slept alone, but if they woke up and fussed, one of us would go and sleep on the mattress with them. Around age two they were all very excited to get their own 'big kid' rooms. It was a gradual transition and was pretty easy on all of us. They are now 8, 6, and 4 and don't need mom or dad to fall asleep at all.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• He was in his room full time shortly after the first birthday. No issues at all on either side. Unless you count that I learned my husband's snoring got WORSE. To this day we often sleep in separate rooms because of it.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i co-slept with all of my kids. i started putting them in the crib when they could roll both ways really well. i didn't want them to roll off the bed or get in a dangerous situation in the bed with me. once i put them in their crib, i went back to sleeping in my bedroom and they stayed in the nursery (when we were co-sleeping it was in the nursery, not my room. that way they don't have to adjust to a new room....just a new bed). i was frankly relieved to be sleeping in my own bed again with my husband. they adjusted pretty quickly....within a couple of days.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• DD was in our room with us until 4.5 months, it wasnt hard on her at all . She never slept in our bed in the first place though, she only slept in the crib. I was ready for her to go. She pretty much slept through the night, I put her in another room with a baby monitor.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• We didn't co-sleep but our kids slept in our room until they were fully sleeping through the night. My oldest two each got their own room at around 6-7 months. The 3rd moved in with her brother (because he was 13 months older than her and on the same napping schedule) at around 7 months even though she had been sleeping through the night since 5 weeks.
    My youngest daughter stayed in our room until 16 months because we had no where else to put her at the time. She was a light sleeper and the older kids would have kept her awake if we put her in one of their rooms. My youngest will be 7 months on Monday and is still in our room but will eventually move in with his older brother (who is 9 now).
    None of them had issues moving to their own room. The older 3 moved to a completely different floor from us even. We used a monitor with them but not with the other 2 who had rooms down/across the hall.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:02 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My sons are 3 & 4, they still share a room with their father, but my oldest was 14 months when his baby brother was born and he moved to the other room, and my youngest son was 3 when he moved in there last year to make room for his new baby sister. I plan to keep her in here with me at least 2 years, but more likely longer.

And no, it never bothered me moving them away from me. I personally don't really enjoy co-sleeping. I would prefer to have the bed all to my self. But it's what's best for them, so I do it at least til I'm done nursing them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• when my daughter was born she slept in my bed for about 2 months then she slept in her own bed after that. she was still in my room til about 3 and a half but that was because we lived at my parents house and it took til then before we could move to live with my husband. for a little over a year now she's had her own room and loves it. i never really had a problem with her being further away partly because she keeps turning sideways in the bed resulting in me getting kicked in her sleep.
    macks_mommy

Answer by macks_mommy at 11:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• my dd slept in our room for the first 2 months and then went to her room! i got up like every 2 hours to go make sure she was still breathing and was ok lol! but other then that she did fine! she was just in the next room and we have a baby monitor so i could hear everything!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• my daughter was in our bed maybe a couple of nights -then in hers-but hers was in the same room-next to ours
    same with my son

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• They were each in bed all night with us for the first several months (I think my oldest was there the longest--4 months), then moved to a basinette right next to the bed. When they woke in the night, I usually brought them into bed and they stayed there. As their sleeping stretches grew longer, I moved them into the crib across the hall, usually around six months.
    jengray72

Answer by jengray72 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011