How should I word my response to an email?? Ebay user

Helpful suggestions only please

I purchased an item on eBay, paid for it the same day, and am now being told that I should pay more for the shipping cost. The seller miscalculated how much it would cost to ship and want me to pay them the difference. First, asking for an additional amount of money is against eBay's policy. If the seller asks for more money after the auction ends I'm not obligated to pay the additional amount. This afternoon I talked to my DH and discuss splitting the cost with her just to be nice. But when I go to send an email about paying some of the cost, they've already emailed me being snotty. Even though the auction said they charge exact shipping, they wanted me to wait so as they could recalculate the shipping and charge me for taking it to the post office. Oh and then the attitude is, don't pay the extra money I'll take it as a loss since I paid more for shipping than you actually gave me to ship it. I wouldn't want the negative feedback left. Everything I did was as per eBay policy. The only I didn't do was wait for them to send me an invoice like they asked I paid right away. I've been selling and buying on eBay for years and had no problems before with paying right after an auction ended. I reread the auction several times and still think they are in the wrong. But I want to be polite when I respond to the email.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Shopping

• idk its more their fault but if u want to b nice say something like "sorry for the problem, i hope it wasnt to much trouble, ive been using ebay for a long time and this has never happened, thank you for taking care of it! pretty much kill them with kindness! lol!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'd say email ebay. Send someone there the emails you've received and get their advice on what to do. Sorry I can't be more helpful!
    jalvarez626

Answer by jalvarez626 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• First of all, I'm pretty sure that only the buyer can leave negative feedback now...so she can't leave you negative. I would politely let her know that you planned on spending a certain amount for the item+shipping, and that's why you bid on her item. I'd let her know that if you were aware it would be higher than listed, you would have bid on someone's else's item. She has no right to ask that of you. It's HER fault, and she can't falsely advertise a price. I'd be polite, but I wouldn't give in and pay the extra. Best of luck!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I spoke with eBay and they said I shouldn't pay I did what I was suppose to do. I'm hung up on even leaving feedback for them. If so neutral or negative??

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't know, I might just not say anything at this point. I had someone email me once after I won an item to tell me it cost a lot more to ship than she had charged me, and I felt bad, but I had calculated her shipping cost into what I was willing to pay and I wasn't willing to pay more. I ended up not responding because I just didn't know what to say. I did feel bad though. But if the person gets a rude attitude I wouldn't even feel bad anymore. I would just think, too bad that's what you charged. But if you want to say something maybe say something like. "I'm sorry you took a loss on shipping but I calculated your shipping cost into what I was willing to pay and according to Ebay's shipping policies fees can't be added once the auction has ended." That's just an idea.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would wait to leave feedback until the item has arrived and base my rating on everything overall, was the item shipped quickly and just as described, or were there other problems too. I wouldn't use a negative at this point as long as they ship the item quickly and don't say anthing else rude.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Well they are unscrupulous and rude so I don't think that being polite will really matter. You should notify eBay about this seller and hopefully they will be able to intervene immediately. Best Wishes and don't be afraid to leave neg feedback on that seller, buyers need to know what type of people they are dealing with.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 11:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2011