Does a newborn need to be feed every 3 -4 hours really ?

The nurses and the pediatrician say every 3 -4hrs but my MIL says no let him sleep until he crys hes 3weeks and 1 day old today ;)

firstimemommy21

Asked by firstimemommy21 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do not schedule feedings, I feed on demand. That means I don't wake my babies to eat. When they are hungry, they will let you know!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes they need to eat every 2-3 actually because they are growing like crazy and digest food quickly
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree with Sabrina. I feed on demand..which could be every 3-4 hours..or every hour. Unless your baby is premature or unusually small I would feed on demand.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• breast or bottle? it makes a difference. And what was his birth weight? Crying is a late stage hunger cue. You want to feed before that.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Typically yes. Babies have very small tummies and because of thier blood sugar levels they DO need to eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• The child will dictate when they want to feed. Think about it like this .. Would you force your 8 year old to feed every three-four hours if the doctor recommended it, even if they weren't hungry? No, because an eight year old wouldn't want to eat if they weren't hungry. An infant is the same way and they're not going to want to eat if they're not hungry. Now, typically an infant will eat every 3-4 hours, but if they sleep longer or ask for food sooner that's okay. The child knows when it is hungry and will tell you when it's ready.

I never dictated for my children when it was feeding time and I still don't. They always ate when they told me they were hungry. Both of them are happy and healthy toddlers now.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:14 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I just fed on demand. He would let me know when he wanted to eat.... but it was usually about every 2-4 hrs
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes, she will let u know when she's hungry, they also need their sleep.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 12:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• feed on demand! If the baby is sleeping, unless there is a medical issue let the baby sleep :)
    the 3-4 hour thing seems to be the "average amt of time most newborns are hungry, but every baby is unique. If your baby just isnt hungry wait till she is! She'll let you know! :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• That does seem like the average time, but I never woke my children up to eat and the only time I have heard of someone doing this is when their daughter was not waking up to eat at all and was losing weight as a newborn. But that was because of a medical condition and not a normal thing.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2011