anyone elses child

my daughter turned a year old not to long ago and she started walking twos days before her birthday, when she gets tired she gets really clumbsy, runs into walls, falls down but she refuses to go to sleep. does any one elses child do this and how can i get her to not fight sleep and take a nap when she gets this tired?

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she has just discovered walking, she has WAY too much to see and do now, there is no time for sleep!
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Try getting her to sleep before she gets to that point. Watch for the first signs of her being tired, and put her to bed. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i have tried that she used to take a nap at the same time every day but now she will take her cup of milk drink it and get up and start going again. its like the little break she is taking to dring her milk is giving her, her second wind or something and then when she starts to rub her little eyes i try to put her down and she fights it to no end i don't know what to do
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My daughter does that too. I just pick her up right away change her diaper and lay her down. Sometimes she cries and I just let her.
    Anonymous

• well sometimes my son fights sleep and he when he falls over and cries, i know he's tired, and i tell him "ok it's bed time", i put him on the potty, change his pull-up, (if wet), and put him to bed. but then again, he doesn't fight me about going to bed cuz i let him CIO when he was younger. if i knew he's so tired that he's fighting it to no end, i put him in the bed and he will cry himself to sleep.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My daughter does that sometimes too, it's her way of trying to divert my attention. I let her have a sip of milk, then I put it away. If she's over tired I have to calm her down before I lay her down. Just a few minutes ago I went to put her down for her nap and she started doing that. After I put her drink away I just picked her up and danced slowly with her for a minute to calm her. Then I went and layed her down and she went to sleep no tears needed. The older they get the more stimulated they become with their activities. Try to find something to do that will help her relax before you put her to bed. Like dancing, or just laying on the floor cuddling for a couple minutes, maybe read a story that she likes. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth.
    The cliff-notes: babies are ready to nap after about two hours of wakefullness. So, if she gets up at say 7a.m., she's ready for a nap at 9 a.m. If that nap lasts for 2hrs, then her next nap would be at 1p.m.
    An early bedtime at night can help too. If you put her to bed at say 7, that'll give her a good 12hrs at night which children that age need.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Put her down BEFORE she gets that tired... Once you start seeing her START to get clumsy, go lay in bed with her.. Tickle and giggle with her for a bit to wind down, and then put her to sleep.. Try not to wait until the last minute when she's over-tired and cranky.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• "i have tried that she used to take a nap at the same time every day but now she will take her cup of milk drink it and get up and start going again. its like the little break she is taking to dring her milk is giving her, her second wind or something and then when she starts to rub her little eyes i try to put her down and she fights it to no end i don't know what to do "

She's fighting with you because you're fighting with her.. Try not to go right from stimulation to expecting her to want to sleep.. You've got to wind it down slowly.. Take her aside for a cup of milk, great.. Wants back up? Nope. Sorry hon.. But read a story, tickle, sing songs with her for a bit.. And THEN do the "time to nap" routine..
    Tears are okay- just don't leave her alone to cry.. If you leave her, she's going to be MORE upset because she feels like she's missing out on something.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2008