Cat nurses on me!

about 8 months ago, I rescued a baby cat that was being turned into the pound. He had been found in an attic, and I judged him to be about 4 weeks old. He was able to eat canned food. Well, he still tries to nurse on my shirts when I hold him, and it drives me crazy because he does the paw kneading and his favorite place to do it is by my neck, so he nicks me with the claws. How can I make hiim stop? All I have been able to find online about this is to never try to stop it, that they need the comfort if they were taken from momma too young, but I hate walking around with cat spit and nicks on me!

shivasgirl

Asked by shivasgirl at 12:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pets

• Aww that's sweet. Rememer the kitten years for they too like human babies are short lived. Pretty soon he will be an adult cat and wont be as needy lol
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:49 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Get him a little kitten nursing bottle, fill it with some water and let him go to town?
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Our kitty adopted a mommy blanket that she would do that on. Maybe you can try substituting? We ended up with her at about 8 weeks old, so she did that for a long time, too. We called the blanket her Orange Mommy. She would do it all the time. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Get him declawed in the front. And on that note- find a vet that will do it by laser (its much less painful for them and they recover so much quicker!).

My cat is almost 12, I have had her since she was 6 and she still does it to me. It means they find comfort in you. They look to you like a parent. Be flattered.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• declawing is not neccessary, just get him/her a bottle. try one of those little things they have for babies, its got a little toy on it meant for teething or cuddling, its as big as a washcloth.

find him something warm to snuggle in.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:17 PM on Feb. 10, 2011