This is my first puppy and need to get it it's first shots but don't want to be mislead

what are the must have shots and the ones that the vet might push that are not so important....for my kids I only get what is impotant and leave out what is not and want to treat my puppy the same way.....she is a pure bred yorkie and only want to give her what is impotant

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 12:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pets

• The vet usually has a new puppy pack and that is what you should get. That includes a dewormer all puppies come with worms, but may have been de wormed already depending on age. I think some of the shots importance depends on the area you live. My vet offers a rattlesnake shot but you may not have rattle snakes in your area.
    The heart worm pill is very important! Be sure to give that pill to your pup every month! You can't give little puppies flea and tic medicine so I did a lot a research to find out how to rid them of fleas and found dish soap, works great for the first bath but just be careful to avoid eyes and rinse very well.
    Good luck with you puppy!
    sierramagic

Answer by sierramagic at 12:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure they are all a good idea
    Opie99

Answer by Opie99 at 12:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Heartworm is a definite must-have shot. I can't reacall the other must-haves because I don't qown a dog but my dad is professional breeder. I know I've heard him mention Heartworm as being a killer in dogs who didn't get the shot.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:47 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes I have heard about the heartworm shot and if a dog gets that it is not likely to live much linger after that
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 12:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2011