2 year old with croup. How can I help his cough?

Had to take my son into the er last night and found out he has croup. They gave him a breathing treatment, and a liquid steroid last night but that was it. I have been putting baby vicks on him, and have tried steaming up the bathroom, and a cool mist humidifier in his room. Is there anything else I can do to help him? It doesn't seem to be getting better.

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 12:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have done everything I would do. Keep an eye on him and if he's not better tomorrow take him back in.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Thank you. Its just such a nasty cough. I hate that there is nothing I can do to help him feel better. I plan to call the doctor in the morning for a follow up from the er, but we were in there Tuesday morning, and they told me he just had a cold and sent us on our way. Then later that night he could barely breath. I'm glad I listened to my mommy instinct and not the nurse practitioner.
    ashtonjames

Comment by ashtonjames (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Sounds like you've got it covered. I wouldn't recommend the vicks though. My doctor once said that when you do that, it opens up the pores in their chest and can actually lead to phneumonia. Not sure if that's true or not, but I wouldn't chance it.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:59 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Bring your DS outside for some cool air if the steamy bathroom isn't working Hope your DS feels better soon
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• How is he today?
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 4:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2011