Working Outside or Inside the home

I hope no one is offended by my terms - I hate being called a house wife by my friends who work :(

I am curious how many moms stay home permanently, how many went back to work after a few months, how many stayed home for years... What's your plan and why?

I wonder if I'd make enough money to make the childcare expenses worth it before they get into school. Once they are in school I plan on going back to work!

angelm523

Asked by angelm523 at 12:42 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I like the term Domestic Goddess. LOL. I was in the Navy for 10 years and I got out with every intention of having a baby and staying home. We planned for my being home when we bought our house so it wasn't any big deal for us to lose my salary. Basically we just swapped because my husband had been going to college while I was working. While I have nothing against mom's who have to work and put their kids in daycare - gotta do what you gotta do, I personally did not want to do that. I have no doubt that I could get a job doing similar work that I did in the Navy and being about to cover daycare and still have money left over. But I again, I don't want to do that and we have enough money on my husband's salary to cover our bills, put money into savings for retirement and college and then fun money, so I don't need to work, either. Once she starts school then I plan on going back and finishing my bachelor's.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I went back to work four months after having my daughter because we needed the money. My mom watched her so we didn't have childcare expenses.
    I'm currently a SAHM. I will probably start working again after the kiddos both get into elementary school.
    ShanAtoZ

Answer by ShanAtoZ at 1:00 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I was a sahm for almost 3 years but for a little over 1 month now I've been working outside the home PT. We were struggling financially so I applied for some jobs and got the one I have now (distribution center). Great job! The pay is wonderful and I work at night when SO is home from work (no childcare cost) and I get home w/ enough time to sleep well. DS will be 3 is April. Not sure if I will switch shifts once ds is in school. If he is ever sick or something I wouldnt have to call off work during the daytime
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:02 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• ~*SAHM*~... happily married to my best friend, and blessed for the ability even be one in this day and age! I went to college three times with four different majors, so that might be the driving force why I push education with our kids... but if I found a reasonable way to earn money fromhome I would... just to buy more stuff I don't need... lol
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:08 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'm a SAHM, but I work extremely part time from home. I proofread and design manuals for the engineering firm that my husband works for. I only do it during nap times, after the kids have gone to bed or on weekends. I do it mostly so that I can keep my skills up and don't have a 7- or 8-year gap on my resume. Since some months I only work 10 hours and others I work more than 40, it's impossible to know how much money I'll make each month. We don't use what money I make as part of our budget for that reason. Once my kids are in elementary school I hope to get a part-time job with more consistent hours, but I don't plan on doing anything full-time until the kids are in middle school or unless our financial situation changes. I spent 9 years working as a copy editor/publication editor/production coordinator before kids and I'm enjoying having a break from going to an office every day.

jilby

Answer by jilby at 1:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I went back to work 6 weeks after my son was born because that was all the maternity leave I had. I have been a semi SAHM since June though. I have two part time jobs but I can take my son with me to both and they both work around my son's school schedule. It works out pretty well because I get to spend a ton of time with him and still make money. Now if I could just find a part time job that would actually pay the bills. :)
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'm a SAHM and plan to be for at least the next 10 years or so, and after that I only plan to work part time if that. I was a SAHM for 8 years before I left my ex and after that I had no problem hopping back in to the work force for 3 years before I remarried.
    I'm just not sure why you feel like being called a "housewife" is a derogatory term. Many moms that work outside the home would gladly change places with you! I worked hard to be at a place where I can be a SAHM. I made good money when I worked, more than enough to cover my child care expenses, but I like staying home with my kids. I have plenty of years to work when they are grown - I will enjoy them now while I can!

Answer by missanc at 9:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I work part-time. When my son was born I worked out an arrangement with the company I had been working. I essentially quit my job and returned as a contract employee. I negotiated a schedule that involved 2 days a week in the office and additional hours at home as needed. I got paid by the hour. My mom watched my son while I worked. When my kids were 5 and 3 yrs old, I left that job and took another working a similar schedule. It was a very small company who had to close the department I worked for a little less than a year ago. I took the summer off and returned to work when school went back. My kids are now 8 and 6 - both in school full day. I drop them off at their school at 9:15, drive to work. Leave the office at 2:30 and go straight to the school to pick them up. In the summer or holidays, the kids will stay with my parents during my work hours. It works for us.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:32 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I've been a SAHM for 11 years, with a brief time of working casually and part time twice in those 11 years. As of right now, I have no plans of working outside the home.

I prefer the term "Homemaker" as opposed to "Housewife" but I don't get offended by the term.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:35 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I went back to work the day after i was out for 6 weeks i hated staying at home! But don't let people say stuff to you about being a stay at home mom. I am now a stay at home mom and it is alot of work!!
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 10, 2011