Homeschooling for a child with ADHD and ODD (oppositional defiant disorder)?

My ten year old DS suffers from ADHD and ODD (oppositional defiant disorder and is having a difficult time in school with his grades because he has a hard time focusing. He also has a rough time with his teacher because his teacher pushes him because he knows what kind of student my son is capable of being but my son looks at it as he is being "picked on and singled out". I was wondering if homeschooling (on a temporary basis) might be worth looking into. And please, no judging or bashing as I am only trying to help my son in any way I can and I am not trying to make him feel like he doesn't belong in a school setting or that he's "too much of a problem student", but to maybe take some of the pressure off of him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• You and I are kind of in the same boat. I have a 10 year old daughter who has ODD and she STAYS in trouble in school. She isn't violent at all, she just doesn't pay attention and she gets in other kids' business and starts arguments. I am so tired of being called and having notes sent home.
    I don't know what to do either. It breaks my heart because she really is so smart. One week, about 3 weeks ago she came home with 9 papers from one week of school, all hundreds! Also had "excellent" check under conduct. The week before and the week after she had some F's and either good behavior or needs improvement. I know she can do better. So I know how you are feeling about your son.
    I can't home school mine because I am in school myself and I expect to go to work when I graduate next semester so we can have two incomes as opposed to just the one and stay struggling. I hope you get some good answers in here.
    Anonymous

• I think if you can do it then AWESOME. I do homeschool and I love it. My friend teaches sunday school and at one time she had a child that was autistic and one with either ADD or ADHD and she found that giving them something to play with with their hands helped to keep them on task. She gave the modeling clay to play with. One always wanted the same color and the other would rotate colors by the week. They were 8 so a little younger. Good luck
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I can't home school mine because I am in school myself and I expect to go to work when I graduate next semester so we can have two incomes as opposed to just the one and stay struggling. I hope you get some good answers in here.

That is the great part of homeschooling, it is flexable on your schedule. I only do school about 4 days a week and we are done with a full day of school in less then 4 hours. What people don;t realize is that when you are just teaching one child instead of 20, which also means keeping other kids on task, explaning a lesson in several different ways so that all children will understand, it really just makes for a long day and only about 15 min per subject instead of the full 45-60 that is alloted.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I have ODD and I wish my parents would have allowed me to do homeschool. I am gifted in math and science and homeschooling would have really made my life easier in some ways with that. ODD is hard especially in school as teachers are authority figures. Even though I was advanced in science and math, just due to the pressure of my parents and teachers, I refused to take honors classes and stuff. I think if I had been doing homeschooling, I would have gotten a lot more advanced just because I would have felt in control of it. KWIM?

I'd really suggest at least trying it for a semester or something.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 1:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• What about the social interaction he will be missing out on? Do you think it will make a negative difference? I'm sorry to be asking all these questions, but i just want what's best for my son because he too is really smart and I feel so bad because he's having such a hard time :(

Anonymous

• do you take your son to the store, church? that is socializing. Does he have friends? The only person who can limit the spcialization is the parent.. He can be in sports, they have tons of homeschool groups too. So unless you plan on keeping him home 24/7 he will have social skills
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Nov. 18, 2008