Do you think that landlords should ask for proof of legal residency or citizenship before renting out to potential tenants ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 12:56 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, if they're smart they should be running a credit check, which would require a social security number........
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• yes. and just because you give someone a SSN, doesnt mean that its YOURS! ...We need more security then SSN's . It should also be regardless of how the person looks. If they are illegal, they should be immediately deported and banned for LIFE from entering America for any reason.

Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 1:14 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes I think so. I mean, if they are here illegally then I wouldn't want to do business with them. They should be treated with respect of course, but I wouldn't collude with them. It's a crime to be here illegally.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 1:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• for sure
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:56 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• *YES*~... considering they need a Social Security Number, so they know who to sue if you skip out on paying rent... why not???
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Absolutely
    They should be allowed to
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes I do. We have to make it hard to be here illegally.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes, they should. As for this bit:

Wouldn't that come up in a credit report?

No, it doesn't. You are not required to be a citizen or legal resident to do business with a US company. You can be in Canada and get a loan in the US, as long as the bank is willing to approve you. (Just like anyone in the US can get a loan from an outside company if the company doesn't care). Also, there is no law requiring a creditor to check the validity of a social security number. It may sometimes be in their best interest to do so, but they don't have to. There was one manager at my old job who actually admitted she preferred the illegal customers - her words, not mine: they were so afraid of getting caught, they always paid on time. (one of many reasons I don't work there anymore)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:04 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Wouldn't that come up in a credit report?
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Yes.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 3:15 PM on Feb. 10, 2011