Any one suffering from mental illness or have kids suffering?

Any type of mental illness, depression, panic disorder, bipolar, etc.
Coping techniques, meds, talking to kids about it, does it affect your kids? I was diagnosed with 3 diff ones, just curious.

ConnectHearts

Asked by ConnectHearts at 1:02 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Health

• Big hugs, you are not alone. Depression, anxiety, and panic attacks run wild in our family...It took a dozen trips to the ER and may visits to the family dr. to finally find out it's the three listed above. Some of it was because we were out of our home for 22 months, I found my mother-in-law after she passed and 3 miscarriages...my body and mind couldn't take it..I felt weak if I asked for help but I did...I'm still learning but I haven't had an attack in years...I only take a xanax or 2 as needed..I know that I'm not alone. I pray a lot..I also learned that the stupid things I ALWAYS had to do is OCD...take some days a minute at a time...Finally planning our first vacation in 23 years :) You will overcome this just know you are not alone...and you are strong..keep on smiling and laughing..it is good medicine.
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• i was diangosed with bipolar a few years ago.
    my boys are 18 months. I recently took a psychology class and we read about the affect of depression on infants. a study found that depresed mothers smiled less and spoke with their infants less. which of course affected them. so to compensate, if you feel like you have times where youre just too down to be giddy with your kids, make play dates for them or have relatives take them for a few hours every few days, that way they're still getting lots of attention even if youre feeling down.
    I mean, You don't have to outright tell the other person why you need them to take your kids for a bit, just say "i need time for myself" or "i have some errands would you mind taking them for an hour on thursdays" that kind of a thing. orif theyre in daycare then they should be getting great attention that way.
    i try my hardest to always smile at my boys even if im feeling down, but i mean,
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• ~*Hugs*~.. I am what society considers normal, but the most advice I can give is to continue to learn all you can! Wishing you the best
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:10 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I suffer from depression which lead to panic attacks which led to agoraphobia. I take zoloft daily and ativan when i am having attacks...my illness effected me and everyone around me...i couldnt leave my room for the fear that i would have another attack. i suggest you research whatever it is u have...and join a group on her for people like us...i am in psych 101
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 1:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• we all have our moments. but yeah this is the info i have to share and i hope it helped. unfortunatly I dont have the name of the study i read about, it wasnt specified in the textbook but I'm sure you could research it online.

but yeah this is how i deal with it.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I have already been diagnosed same as you actually. panic disorder with agoraphobia, depression, and bipolar. I overcame a lot of it and I am at my best Now after 4 years of darkness. But I don't take medication anymore, took it for 10 years and I am better without it but don't down it, just wasn't for me. I know what you mean by affecting people, I went through that as well. It was horrible and I felt so bad for so long. But now, i can drive again, still not like i use too, my panic attacks have calmed tremendously, and my depression isn't that bad, normal I would say at this point. Bipolar, Im not sure if I was even diagnosed right. But just wondered if anyone had went through it and what they thought, went thru, or how they received help.
    ConnectHearts

Comment by ConnectHearts (original poster) at 1:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• my ss is 7 and he is bipolar, and probably schizophrenic.
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:19 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I believe the affects, seen it with my kids especially when I couldn't leave my home much or when they seen me upset and scared. i don't think I hardly cracked a smile for 4 years. But now it's all I do and my kids are much happier as well. Getting out of it all, turning my life in a different direction, and I got better and have been for months now. I don't fear as much, drive more and more, and life just seems less confusing. Love the comments and greatly appreciated.
    ConnectHearts

Comment by ConnectHearts (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2011