So my cat is def in heat...and driving me nuts!!!!

I have her in the bathroom i JUST put her in there... its driving us crazy... the moaning and whining and humping around everything....

how long does this usually last??? started early this morning

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Pets

• It lasts almost a week.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Be prepared for a whole lot of crazy then, until you get her spayed. Cats are what they call polyestrous This means that she will cycle in and out of estrus (or heat) until she is mated or until you get her fixed. The average time active estrous lasts (called the "calling" time for a reason) is 7 days, then she will cycle out for about 9 days and then back in etc etc on and on. Get her fixed as soon as you can hun. She is seasonally estrus as well meaning that she will do this cycling in spring and fall and then summer and winter she might go into a dormant stage. But the cycling can last for months. good luck with her.
    wyldreams

Answer by wyldreams at 1:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• You need to get her fixed ASAP, not only so you don't have to listen to the noise, but to make certain she never slips outside and gets knocked up--it can happen in the blink of an eye.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• A cat will basically stay in heat until they get pregnant. There are times when they go out of heat but that does not last long. I'd get her fixed asap.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Cats are induced ovulaters, which means they need to get bred to go out of heat. They might calm down, but it'll keep happening again and again and again ...

... which is why having your cat spayed before 6 months of age is recommended. Well, not the ONLY reason why, but they ARE annoying (cats in heat).
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 3:54 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Just cause you spay doesnt mean that it will stop the behavior. It is still possible to have that behavior afterwards.

Is your cat broken? I keep seeing the word fix.

If you cant afford it contact the humaine society for places that pick up the bill or do it for a low price.

but its good to do it early.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Everyone summed it up so I will just say Good luck. oh yes, if you know a farmer, some places have a farmers spay/neuter deal. they have to have ten or more cats and they only cost $5.00 to $10.00 to spay or neuter. So he could slip yours n with his and you would get it cheap.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 6:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2011