has anyone had fibroids? and what have they done to get rid of them?

Diagnosed with fibroids , and I am looking for information on how to get rid of them without getting a hysterectomy!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Health

• Change in diet helps.
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My sister in law had an alternative procedure where they go in and cut off the blood supply to the fibroids. There are other options other than hysterectomies, talk to your doctor...
    Preciv

Answer by Preciv at 11:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My sister had had them for years now. She has to keep getting them measured. Her dr will not offer to do anything unless they grow more than 5cm in size. Are you done having children? Do you know how big yours are?
    This article offered some good information: http://www.gynalternatives.com/fibroids.htm
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 12:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• fibroids are almost always a benign growth of the muscle wall of the uterus. Estrogen usually feeds them. Most of the time after menopause they start to shrink. Sometimes they don't though. You have a few options. A myomectomy (removal of just the fibroid, but depending on your age the doctor may not think it's the best option for you) A hysterectomy ( again depending on your age they may just take the uterus or may recommend having your ovaries removed too), you can have a uterine artery embolization ( which basically will cut off the blood supply to the fibriod, with the hopes that it will shrink) or you can do nothing (if it is not causing you any problems, or affecting your lifestyle, then you don't HAVE to do anything!)
    mom2kammy

Answer by mom2kammy at 1:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I just found out about them! I am 34 yrs old and yes I am done having kids,but want a complete option to having a hystorectomy! I know some one said a change of diet? How does that help? Are you saying that weight is a factor?The only problems I am having is too much pain while I am in my period, and pain after wards! I have small fibroids but not sure yet where! I still have to have them biopesed. I hope that is the way to spell that! According to ultrasoung my ovaries are good! So I guess it is only in the uterus. I do want to thank all of you ladies for all your answers! Any one have a good remedy for the pain ? Thank you!
    mamasitade3

Answer by mamasitade3 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008