Mental health....spinoff from another post

Why can someone be "normal" part of their life....like me 30 years, then out of the blue start havin mental issues? If you have issues does any of your immediate family have them becasue ive heard that it is herditary

suhweetness

Asked by suhweetness at 1:14 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Health

• it can be but it can also be caused by a tramatic event or change in hormones
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:18 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I think allot of what we think of as "mental problems" are really a natural result of the ongoing trauma of stress in our modern lives.

On the other hand some mental illness is truly chemical/biological and in that case I imagine changes in age/diet, etc. play more of a role.

Either way I think it's hereditary. Even if it isn't a genetic type of inheritance it seems like trauma/stress follows from one generation to another.

From this question I wasn't clear if it is you or someone you know who is troubled, but either way I hope that the person gets the support and help they need. Allot of times a little medicine can cure it like magic.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 1:20 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• oh thanks angel i do suffer from agoraphobia and depression and panic attacks the psych says its something hereditary but i think (from my research that i was dting from alcohol abuse and it lead to the rest) I was diagnosised with depression about 3 years ago after my last was born
    suhweetness

Comment by suhweetness (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It could be from a variety of things, and definitely hormones.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:28 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I have some depression and went through an agoraphobic phase. I took (can't remember, maybe bextra?) to help with anxiety and went to therapy for a few months and it got better. I know allot people have more serious cases, but I think allot of this type of thing is really "mental" and can be overcome with a good therapist and a little bit of pharmaceutical help managing symptoms. If you aren't comfy with taking the meds (I never was) you can look at alternative stuff too. For instance I use Bach Flower Remedies Rescue Remedy to handle panic when I'm out and about.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 1:46 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I have some personal experience with these type of issues. From what i know you can have always had them but nothing triggered it untill later in life. Maybe something triggered it for you like change in hormones after the pregnancy? Some times these types of things don't show up at all till adult hood, I can give you some advise but I am not a Dr.
    Go to the counseling or therapy and stick with it, it takes a while to work and sometimes different medications and alternative therapies that can take weeks or months to see any type of improvement form. I know just touching that door knob to go out of the house can be very hard. Just stick with it and you will get better.
    I am out of room....give it time you will see improvement
    sierramagic

Answer by sierramagic at 1:46 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• With my diagnoses the psychiatrists and family doctors always said it could be hereditary, learned, and based on life circumstances as well.
    ConnectHearts

Answer by ConnectHearts at 2:02 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It could be a variety of things or a combonation of things. It could be genetics, it could be from drug or alcohol abuse, it could be from a traumatic event (either one that happened to you or that you witnessed), it could be hormonal, it could be from chemicals in your brain, it could be from a head injury. It could also be a learned behavior.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I went to the hospital and doctors office because I thought I was having heart problems...Weight aside...I was very healthy..Why was I freaking out all the time...racing heart, numb hands, and black outs...It was STRESS..NO way! I have always been a woman that take life by the horns and keeps on going...It built up in my system and it all came crashing down...I have and am still learning to let go. Our bodies can only take so much and as women the changes we are always going through don't help...If you are worried find a good doctor..Do something that makes you smile.
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• my sis was "normal" all her life until recently now with depression and my cousin is bipolar so.....
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2011