How would you handle a very promiscuous teen daughter when you have talked to her and she is not receptive of counseling ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 1:49 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• take away any and all privalages and make sure she is clearly informed of EVERYTHING about sex, being safe and the consequences.
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• From my experience and dealing with this issue in counseling, many promiscous girls do so because of a lack of self-worth or self-esteem; attempting to find love by giving themselves away. It can also be caused from early sexual encounters (in my case I was molested at 5 and it impacted my entire outlook on sex from an early age). I'm not stating this is your daughters case, but just something to think about. On the outside I looked like a confident girl, on the inside I was a mess, I felt boys didn't like me, that I wasn't good enough and if I "put out" they would want me. (Great book Loose Girl - is an autobiography about a girl that went through this)
    I highly recommend counseling whether she wants to go or not, make sure its someone that deals with teens who have gone through this. I hope that you can help her, I wish my parents had cared more, they never knew what I was doing.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• If she is under 18, you can force her into counseling.. Whether she will welcome the help is a different story. I would find a counselor, and take her, kicking and screaming if you have to. If she wont listen, take away everything. Phone, computer, camera, her clothes (leave only a few things), and tell her that until she listens, she will live like that. She needs to earn her stuff back.
    I wasn't a bad teen. But i was not the best. My mom knew, at that point, she needed to be my mom, not my friend. If i "hated" her for whatever punishment she dealt me back then, I appreciate it so much now. She was willing to risk me resenting her to make sure i knew someone cared, would always care, and do anything to make sure i was safe, even if i thought she was nuts at the time.
    Tough love, counseling, the talk, and if you know she is sleeping around, you need to get her on birth control. Don't let her become another teen mom statistic.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:27 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• You take her to counseling. It is not an option. I took my son when he was a teen and he was very unhappy, but we got through it and it helped both of us. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• You can't force anyone into counseling. If they are not willing, counseling will not work. I would make sure she is well informed about protection, STD's, pregnancy, etc. Where to go if she needs help (if she isn't comfortable coming to you). Make sure she knows what will happen if she gets pregnant. How much support she will recieve from you and what kind of support. Keep communication open so she knows she can come to you at anytime, when she is ready to talk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011