How do I get my 1 year old to go to sleep at a decent hour?

My daughter is going to be 1 in a few weeks and she stays up til 1 or 2 a.m. I am a newly single mommy and it hard to be stern with her as I know she has had a hard time with the separation. She has been like this for almost a month now and I know I need to get her on a regular schedule. I have tried keeping her days consistent (feeding at the same time, play time, etc.) However, I go to school 3 nights a week and it is hard to keep all the days the same. Can anyone offer any advice to a tired 25 year old mommy?

vermisstliebe

Asked by vermisstliebe at 2:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you figure that out.. let me know. My DD is the reason I am awake now lol.

But I think I may have out witted her lol

2 days ago she was waking up about 6-7 pm, and not going to bed until 8-9 am. Trying NOT to give her a nap was a problem. No nap meant one REALLY cranky baby. So I try to keep her up longer now. Yesterday she fell asleep at 11 am. She and I didn't wake up until about midnight.

Now she'll be up longer. If I keep her on this path she'll eventually hitting the bed around 8-9 pm. PREFECT!
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 2:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• get a routine going for her, say after dinner have a bonding time for a few, give her a bath,story, kiss, lay her down for bed or lay with her..whatever it is you need to do to get her to go to bed decent..she needs her rest just as much as you. Do it sooner than later!!
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:25 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I agree with socalikim. You need to establish a routine and stick with it. You are the one in control. Get the baby on one nap right after lunch. If she is taking two naps now it may be the reason she is up late. Wake her no later than 8 AM and start the new schedule. Do it all with calmness and love as she is transitioning to the separation and routine. It will be tough for a few days/weeks but worth it. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Thank you so much, ladies!! I will give it a whirl!!
    vermisstliebe

Comment by vermisstliebe (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It may be that she is napping too much during the day. We had to make sure that our DD took her last nap before 4p and she usually only 2 naps a day for about an 1- 1/12 each time. The schedule will really help keep her on track and make bedtime better!! Good luck
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I am a 24 yr old mom with just one 15m old son. he would stay up, not quite as late as yours, very late into 11pm sometimes. it wasn't until we started putting him to bed at exactly the same time every night, that he started to fall asleep on his own. i had been under the belief that i should watch for the signs of bed time so that i can put him down successfully. however, while i was away for 3 days, my husband wouldn't take no for an answer and within those 3 days, my son is consistently in bed and quiet at 8pm sharp. I'm no way saying that this may work for you, but I am saying that the principle may. every child is different, but they all crave consistency.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 12:45 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

• my ds has been on a schedule for eons and then all of a sudden he was all messed up i hear it is a phase that they go through he thought he was a big boy and wanted to stay up until 10:30 eeks!!!!!
    Keep trying!
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2011