Do you think it is neglect to leave a large family pet in the same room with an unsupervised infant ?

large pet like a big dog.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 2:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes because even the most mild of pets can turn vicious in a heartbeat. It is in their nature.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:36 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Personally I wouldnt do it. Animals r very unpredictable & get jealous jus like humans. Except it could end brutaly.. It reminds me of the baby who got killed by a dog over a cookie. The baby drop the cookie & the dog wanted it. The baby not knowing any better tried to get the cookie back & the dog attacked.. He wasnt supervised at a birthday party for his cousin.. Such a sad story.. :(
    tiamesmer

Answer by tiamesmer at 2:38 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I don't think you should leave an infant supervised, pet or no pet.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• yes it would be a form of neglect :( personally wouldn't do it either..infants have no idea of gentleness towards animals, yes we teach them but the hair pulling tail pulling happens..my baby does it to our cats and they dont do anything but I am always there if hes by the kitties just in case...
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Oh, BTW my Sister was OK :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't say NEGLECT.  My husband had a rottweiler when our first child was born.  She was extremely big and extremely over protective of him.  I never worried that she would bite him or anything but they weren't left alone together because I was worried she might step on him or do the mama bear thing and pick him up with her teeth.  Maybe using common sense?  Yes, I think it might be common sense to just not chance it but neglect?  No, I wouldn't call it neglect.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• it is a negative thing to do whether the dog is big or small IMO.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I dont think its neglect but I wouldnt trust most animals. My dog at my moms is more of a rug that just sleeps all day(shes 13 and blind) I have no prob. leaving my son(6months and doesnt crawl yet) in the same room but I can see them both while in the kitchen. Just use common sense. When my son starts moving thats a whole different story but if you have a pet like a big dog guess what your child will be left alone with that dog at some point. You cant watch the dog and your kid every sec of every day while he/she is growing up.
    Granolamama3795

Answer by Granolamama3795 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I think it is because even if the animal does not hurt them on purpose they could by accident. My dog knocks things over all the time.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't do it because you never know. When my sister was an infant, my parents rented an apt. upstairs in the house of an elderly couple with a cat. My sister was asleep in her bassinet & my Mom went to make lunch and came back & the cat was curled up in a ball over my sisters face. The cat must have sneaked into the apt. The elderly couple got so upset that they gave the cat to a neighbor to keep. So even a cat can be dangerous with an infant.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:26 AM on Feb. 10, 2011