Do u thinks kids should be drug tested ?

I heard about a school wanting to test the younger kids in the junior high at random. I do not, its unconstitutional. The student who tested positve for a drugs will be put in their permanent file at school. The kid will have a drug charge all his life. Plus what gives the school a right to be able to this. Apparently they think kids didn't any rights .

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I think kids should be drug tested, but I think it's NOT THE SCHOOL'S JOB! If I suspect one of my kids is messing around with drugs, I will drug test the child. Randomly and often. I will trash his or her room looking for the stuff. I will remove all privacy privileges and ground the child to my side until I am sure that my child is clean. And my kids know that I will do this because I love them and will fight to keep them safe, even from themselves.

But it's not the school's job to test them. That's just wrong. It is the school's job to pick up the phone and say, "Mrs. May, we think your child may be messing around with drugs for x, y, and z reasons. We thought you'd want to know." And they would be correct.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• i do not like the sound of that at all. i would not want my minor child to be drug tested by their school..no thanks!!!!!! If they have any suspicions that my child is doing drugs they should notify me and i will deal with it accordingly in PRIVATE with my doctor and a counselor. whatever the drug test results are is none of their business either.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 3:08 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I think that sounds like a why for someone to make money...the companies that make the drug tests, school programs all sorts of things. Not to mention most drugs leave the urine very quickly and kids are not stupid so if they used thy would carry clean urine with them. So for this to work for most drugs the schools would have to do hair testing. Hair testing is very accurate, and expensive.
    Then what if the kids fail? what are they going to do kick them out? That is why a kid already down the wrong path need less support form our schools
    Drug testing school kids How ridicules! Maybe they should spend that money to help kids who are at risk for using
    sierramagic

Answer by sierramagic at 3:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My question is where exactly are school districts going to get the money to do this? They are laying off teachers and closing schools in some areas of the country. How about the schools that ask parents to supply them with toilet paper? Are parents going to be asked to send money so that the administration can buy drug tests? And why exactly are these needed? If there are children that are caught bringing drugs to school, they should be suspended and then expelled if they repeat their behavior. I think it sounds like a huge waste of time and money. Involve parents in the kids' lives and hold people accountable. A junior high student needs a parent to hold them accountable, not our schools / administrators.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'm with gwen20 on this. I think it's a private matter with the parents to handle, not a school. I'd yank my kid out of any school that did this. If I had my suspicions, I'd handle it myself.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:12 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• It definitely doesn't surprise me to hear this. look at everything that is going on in the country. If it was a mandated thing I would have to be standing right there making sure the school wasn't doing anything fishy but I imagine if this law passed it would be done in the school nurse's office. They already give kids shots at school and eye/hearing exams so this isn't really surprising.The reality is that too many parents work during the day and so there wouldn't be a way to just pull kids out of school and home school. If they made it law in your state or across the whole country you'd pretty much have to just deal with it. Anyways, I doubt it will get passed anytime soon but it will probably be discussed for quite a while. And yes I think its a waste of money and stupid.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:29 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I teach in middle school. You might be surprised at just how many of these kids come to school high. There are so many issues with high kids in class. They sleep; they are argumentative/belligerent (no inhibitions); they fight, and occasionally they have reactions to the drugs. We can't do anything. We can't suspend them for being high. We can't call the deputy or their parents. When they get sick, you don't know what they have taken to tell the EMT's. We even have the drug dogs in school. Drugs are found. Nothing happens. I think that they should be tested and charged with a crime.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:04 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Not my kid. Not by the school. I have no problem taking my son (when he's older) to the doctor for drug testing, if i even slightly suspect anything. But that's my business and job as a parent.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Where are they going to get the money for that?

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Only of the PARENT determines that it's is necessary-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2011