Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What sort of government assistance can I get I make under 1200 a month?

Our economy is crazy! I hate having to use our own government for help. But if they didn't help us who would? I was carious on what it is that I could get since my husband and I only make 1000 bucks a week now. It was 2500-2800 but I am no longer working due to my 2nd pregnancy.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • I only make 1000 bucks a week now.

    I hope you meant to say a month! LOL. You could probably qualify for food stamps. I think with TANF you have to make $700 or less.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 7:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • go apply and see what the regulations are

    Answer by elizabr at 8:13 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • its doubtful you will get anything, in our state you cant make over $700.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:44 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • If you make $4000 a month I hope you don't qualify.

    Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • If you only make 1200/month depending on family size you should qualify for WIC (if you have kids under 5) and might qualify for food stamps. Those are really the only two program I know of and the cutoff for pay limits is dependent upon the area you live in. The best thing for you to do is take all your paperwork (pay stubs, birth certs, etc.) and go to your local social services office.

    Answer by missanc at 9:28 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • Check with your local job and family services.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • My hubby and I make less than that a month (and we have 3 dependents in the household) and we don't qualify for ANY handouts. We manage just fine. What you could do is make out a monthly budget, see where all the money is going and 'trim the fat' - get rid of unwanted/not needed expenses-- or scale back. Example- cable tv, cell phones, internet-- see what you are paying and see if you can go to lower plans or maybe do a 'bundle' deal with your provider. Or get rid of the expensive cell phone plan and go with a pay-as-you-go cell phone like a tracfone.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • It's going to depend on your expenses, income, dependents, etc. I'd imagine that you'd qualify for medicaid to help with the pregnancy. And probably food stamps as well. But how much, is going to depend.

    If you need help go ahead and apply. Sometimes the waits can take a while.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:24 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

  • Since you are pregnant you can go to WIC.If your 1st child is under 5 you will get checks for him/her,too.THat at least gives you milk,cheese,eggs,juice,bread and some other stuff (and later on formula!)

    Answer by Davina85 at 9:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

  • Thank you, and yes lol it's 1000 a month, not a week. Lol geez I wish it was a 1000 a week LOL But anyway's.

    I know I am strong willed,and that I am able to live on my own. I cut back on just about every bill now, so as long as I am paying a little of something I think I will be just fine. I love being a stay at home mommy it's very rewarding. But I feel like crap due to the fact I have been working since I was 12 yrs old. Never not had a job/ career until now.I am highly independent and having to rely on my husband makes me feel bad. But when you have kids it changes you and I know because I had to quit my dream career 3 days ago due to the stresses of being a counselor.

    I give extra kudos to those of you who are working mothers, congrats! At least working, government assistance came out of my own pocket anyway LOl so if I need it, at least it's there. It's not like I never worked. Just being thankful and positive!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.