Friend from other countries

Maybe my situation is unique. I have some friends from socialist and communistic countries. They are incredibly educated, but lost in snap judgement. At first I had no question about them, and took their word as final. Now after being with them as friends for a while, I have to second guess their statements, not for honesty (because they are being honest), but for confusion. It's like they don't know how to react or respond to spontaneous change. I am being constantly asked about what to do or how to do. It's like I am guiding them through their day-by-day decision making. And the strange part, some of them have been in the U.S. for many years.

Does any one else have this issue? If so, how do you handle this? ~Frustrated

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 12:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Relationships

• When they ask, ask them what they would do, or what they think they should do. This will get them to start thinking about making their own decisions. Perhaps they consider you such a close friend that they mainly want to see if you agree with what they want to do. If they find that you always ask them what they would do, then they may realize they don't need your confirmation of their thoughts. Or perhaps they are making conversation, or just connecting.

Answer by Bmat at 1:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I've not been in your situation.But I think people need to learn from their mistakes on their own.That doesn't mean you are no longer their friend.They just need to live with their choices.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2008