You think this will work?

Ok, so I have PCOS, I havent had my period for 2 years, (besides 2 times & it was super light & lasted a day or 2) and my ovaries are filled with tiny cysts. My husband & I want to start trying for #2. Ive tried tons of different meds to try to start my period, so far nothing but birth control pills works. But it doesnt help every month. My doctor basicly told me there was nothing else she could do to help me. But dh & I were talking & think maybe if I take a bc pill once every other day, or so often. My period will start, but not be fully effective, so there's the chanc e I could get pregnant. Would that work? & what if I did get pregnant, would taking the pill harm the baby(up until I find out im rly pregnant)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I have PCOS as well. The only way I can get pregnant is when I lose weight. By losing weight, the cyst go away, and enable your menstrual cycle to come back. Losing weight the healthy way, exercising, eating right, lots of water, etc.
    Dreamlander

Answer by Dreamlander at 4:04 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I'm a PCOS'er too. Weather the pill would harm the baby depends on what kind of birth control pill it is. If it's progesterone only, it is probably fine since that's what Dr's prescribe to PCOS patients who are TTC to get their periods started. I woulnd't risk it with a pill that has estrogen and I have never heard of taking it every other day to start a period. What kind of Dr do you have? Just a regular family care physician, an OBGYN, or an endocrinologist? Personally, I would look for a more knowledgeable Dr., preferably an endocrinologist or at least an OBGYN who knows something about PCOS and TTC.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• And I'm curious what are all the other tons of medications that start periods? I didn't know there were very many. Hmm, maybe my Dr has been keeping me in the dark. Do you remember what any of them were called?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Have you considered or tried Vitex, Marjoram, or Dong Quai to regulate your cycles?? What about taking 50mg of vitamin B6 everyday and increasing water consumption?? Sesame seeds and flaxseed have also been known to regulate your cycles. Having about 3 cups of beets and juice a day, has been said to bring on a cycle. Add a tablespoon of basil to a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for five minutes, strain and drink. Ginger tea can help stimulate the onset of a cycle as well. I'd give herbs a try, if you haven't yet, before sticking with a birth control pill.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Periods REALLY aren't the issue with PCOS. Ovualtion IS. You don't have regular periods because instead of ovulating the egg is turned into a cyst. I personally think this birth control idea is a good way to screw your body up.

Look into Soy Isoflavones. They have been VERY effective in women with PCOS because it's a sort of natural form of Clomid.

Also if you aren't already DEFINATELY start charting so that when your body DOES release an egg you won't miss it. You can learn how in the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility.

A combination of Soy Isoflavones, charting and losing weight is probably your best bet at this point.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Finding a doctor who specializes in this stuff is very helpful. Even if you don't agree with the principles behind Natural Family Planning (as an alternative to birth control) specialists in it can be really helpful with fertility issues. I found one by searching for NFP Doctor in my city.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 10, 2011