Is this legal?

My DS and his gf both go to the same school and have been 'dating' about 2 years now. Well, problem here is that he just turned 18 and she's still 16.

Is he now in danger? Is it legally okay to have a non-sexual relationship with her? In public, total strangers wouldn't know their ages, so I'm not worried about that so much, but I dunno, I just worry. Their good kids and they really are good for each other.

Is he just supposed to not date her for the next 16 months? or is it okay as long as sex isn't involved? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• It isn't an issue as long as there is no sex. If there is sex involved it will depend on what your state's age of consent is.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:31 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Check into your state laws. In some states, even though he is 18 and she is 16, the relationship isn't illegal (If it became sexual). In others, if someone found out they were together the state could actually press charges regardless of the parents involvement/wishes. Give this information to your son, make sure he understands where he stands from a purely legal standpoint. Best of luck.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Check your state laws. Some say no sex and they are fine some say 16 is age for consent to sex so they would be fine even if having sex and still others stipulate over 16 and less then 5 years age difference and sex is fine. I would definitely see how the other parents feel though to. Since they have been dating a while I would think it was not a big deal, but if she were to happen to get pregnant then there might be some issues.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:47 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• As his mom you are the best person to really know your son. If after 2 years nothing has happened yet, I wouldn't worry about it. The big question is "Do you trust your son?". You should sit down with him and explain your concerns and wishes and the legality of the situation.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 6:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• No sex no issue. Even if there was sex in most states 16 is the age of consent anyways.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 7:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Check your local laws.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• check your local laws and have a conversation with both the kids involved and the girls parents
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Google your states laws. 16 is probably the age of consent. Your son should be fun. I would talk to him though about being careful.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• it was my understanding (and i may very well be wrong) but there has to be more than two years between the 16 year old and older adult for there to be a statutory case....I dont see how he could be in danger at all...worth looking into though!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• When I was 16, I dated an 18 year old. We didn't have sex.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2011