What are your beliefs on how to properly raise children. If you could go back is there anything you would do differenty in raising your children?

dona10

Asked by dona10 at 6:45 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Since ours turned out very well, I would pretty much do the same thing I did when ours were young. I would, of course, be wiser and more intentional that I was because hind sight, as they say, is always 20/20.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:22 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My belief on raising children is with allowing a child voice, versus attempting to control and demand. Providing the why's behind my rules and expectations.
    It's worked well I have two amazing boys, while they are still just in their teens...every person we know has always said what great boys we have, and ask what is we do that they turned out the way they have.
    If I could go back, I wish I'd known this earlier instead of starting off the way I did. I also wish I'd known I was bipolar so that I could learned to handle some situations better when they were younger, I "flew off the handle" a few times and I'm not proud of that. Ultimately though I've learned from that and my children have become wonderful, loving, kind, compassionate, intelligent, motivated, ambitious young men.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't do anything differently. My son is an amazing, respectful teenager and I am happy the way he turned out. I get compliments all the time on how I raised him and that no one knows that he is an only child raised by a single parent. I used a lot of natural consequences and demanded respect. I also gave him respect, let him have choices and a voice in the family. I talked with him about why behaviors were inappropriate, what he could have done differently and what he should do to make up for the behavior. He has a huge heart and is a very caring young man.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I have 4 amazing children. I wouldn't go back and do anything differently.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• All my three have turned out exemplary, I would not change a thing.

Answer by older at 7:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2011