Do you think?

Do you think we would see a decrease in on-line bullying and rudeness if Cafemom eliminated the option to respond to questions anonymously? Have you ever noticed about 80% of the time the really nasty posts are posted anonymously? What do you think? You think it would make a difference if these people couldn't hide behind a faceless name or do you think it would just spark a greater level of boldness in their rudeness?

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in About CafeMom

• I think by getting rid of anon that you wouldn't be able to ask questions anon. Sometimes I don't want to identify myself when asking a question. I think when an anon answers rudely and rather boldly that we can choose to ignore them or respond back. It's when it goes back and forth that it becomes a problem. There's always the option of deleting or reporting. ...JMO
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I think they should eliminate the choice to post annonymously. I feel that people who choose to post annonymously and are rude, obviously don't want people to know who they are, so if they did not have the option to be annonymous, they would not post. If they do post, they won't be so rude.
    kld1979

Answer by kld1979 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I post anon because I got tired of people messaging me when they didn't like my answers. I'm not rude I just answer the question. I don't bash people either. I hate when I see that!
    Anonymous

• There are good and bad points to having it and to not having it.
    It's good to be able to ask or answer a question you would be too embarassed to ask or answer otherwise.
    It's good to be able to ask or answer a question honestly without fear of retaliation.
    It's bad that people will retaliate. Flooding your message box with hateful things when the subject evokes strong emotions and they disagree with you.
    It's bad that people hide behind annoymous to post nasty comments or to ask "questions" that are really attacks.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• So what's the best thing to do?
    * Report any answers that are plain rude or that are attacks. If the "answer" doesn't actually answer the question, if the "answer" is simply an attack on other moms, report it. CafeMom does not tolerate that behaviour and they will notifiy the poster. Yes, even when the person posted "annoymously", CafeMom still knows who did it.
    * Don't engage in such behavior yourself. Yes, it is tempting to lash out when someone lashes out at you. But you only make things worse and ruin the tone of the site.
    * Don't ask questions in a way that attacks others for their beliefs. Don't ask questions just to stir up trouble. Don't answer questions that look like attacks to you.
    kaycee14

• Kaycee14.....that's hitting the nail on the head! Wonderfully said.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Absolutely, Kaycee14! Well said! I often post anon, and I'm not sure why, but I like having the option. I don't get nasty with people, I just don't want everyone knowing who I am. I hope they don't do away with it. Its nice to be unknown sometimes. I don't want involved with the drama that often goes along with throwing this many women together, ya know?
    Anonymous