I gave my car to my daughter and dh wants me to take it back but won't help her get a car of her own...what do I do

my daughter is 19 and in her 2nd year of college, she has never owned her own car but is responsible and would make payments if she had a loan.
unlike my dh where to him if he pays the bills that means less money for him.
I am not that way bills come first.
anyway since he is out of work until spring we have 2 cars.
my daughter works fulltime at a gas station from 3 pm to 11:30pm, and then walks back to her dorm, in the freezing cold.
Being worried about her I gave her my car until she can find one on her own.
dh does nothing to help the situation just bitches about how theres only one car and it is a problem to him because he likes to be doing his own thing but the kids that are at home need transportation to various activities.
I want my daughter safe, she needs a car, I don't. Well at the moment I don't.
we have our tax money and would like to spend a little getting her a car but he won't allow for that because he has things he wants to buy. He has already blown 1800 on himself!! yet he wants my car back and won't move a muscle to help a college kid in need. Should I hold my ground until he see I'm not going to do what he wants? Should I take some money and go ahead and help her get a loan? I know she would be on time with payments she is more like me, bills come first.

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 7:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you have tax money and want to get her a car then just do it. It is your money too after all. Remind him without the kids your tax return would not be as fat and it is for the family, not just for him and his needs. If you dont want to spend any on a car then stand your ground. There are way too many stories out there of young women being abducted. I gave my oldest my car when she turned 18 too, and my husband wasnt thrilled by it, but he got over it.

Answer by gemgem at 7:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• If he is being as selfish as you say, I would take some money and get her a loan. 1/2 of that money is yours anyway.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I have told him that if it weren't for MY kids...he is just the stepdad....there would not be such a huge refund. I will be dammed if my kid is in the news for being hit by a car, raped or a missing person later found dead in the woods...he just does not care as much as we need him to.
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Start looking at Craig's List for cheap used cars in your area. You don't need his permission to buy YOUR children a vehicle.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Your kid comes first and that's how it should be... he should MYOB or take a hike if he dont like it
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Why does he need a car? He doesn't have a job. You should let your dd use your car and you use his.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 10, 2011