Have you ever considered, that you may be doing God an injustice by not living a joyful life?

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 7:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• For the record, I think this is one of the best questions I have seen on here. Yes, I do feel like that at times. I know everyday isn't going to be sunshine and daisies, but I believe that Jesus died to give us the very best life we can have. He wants only good things for us. I have many, many blessings and I am thankful. But sometimes I wonder where my joy is. Sometimes I am overcome by a feeling of total despair. That hadn't ought to be. I'm working on it and I'm believing God for better things. Hallelujah!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:58 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• There is a difference between happiness and joy.

"Happiness, according to the Oxford English dictionary, is based on luck or good fortune. Joy on the other hand, is described as a vivid emotion of pleasure. Thus, happiness depends on circumstance; joy, on our emotional well-being."

Answer by missanc at 9:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• No. I have had 2 people close to me take their own lives. I also have a handful of relatives who battle with depression and anxiety, coupled with OCD and thinking they should take on so much of other people's problems that it affects their lives. What I am saying by that is, for example, my dad gets so upset over relatives (how my brother and his wife are and raise their kids, how my dads siblings live their lives ... drugs, drinking, not caring/assisting for my grandparents the way they should, the fact that my marriage recently fell apart). I tell my dad all the time he can't get so upset over everyone else, they are adults at this point and aren't going to change. And my dad got worse after he was a born again Christian, because he wants everyone else to see the way to God.
    Anyways, I think God and our soul mapped out our life. And some of us have a life to live that is painful and hard, because that was what we chose.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:02 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I live a joyful life, and I am sure this is what God wants me to do.

Answer by older at 9:46 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• "Maybe faking it works in your faith, in mine, lying is about the worst abomination you can commit. Emotions are real, and unless you're living on mother's little helpers, it's not all happy happy joy joy".

I agree with missanc, there is a big difference between happiness and joy and it doesn't have a thing to do with faking it. It has alot to do with not letting your circumstances in life dictate whether or not you are going to find true joy and contentment regardless of them. This comes from God, from the spirit of God, having a hope and a purpose beyoond what this life can offer...or not.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:38 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• This is so true! As James says 'Consider it pure joy my brethren when faced with various trials knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance'
    Grandma2Olivia

Answer by Grandma2Olivia at 8:02 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I don't consider god in anything I do....it's a waste of time to concentrate on something I do not believe exists. HOWEVER, my life is lived full of joy and love and happines.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:23 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I do believe God wants us to aspire for a fulfilling, joyful life full of purpose and meaning and personal/spiritual growth.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I have never considered that but it makes sense to me. I am joyful in this life because He gives me intelligence, a marriage, and children. I am joyful of His promises of a perfect future. We also make Him joyous when we serve Him. :)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• I haven't thought about doing God an injustice by being unhappy, but I have thought about doing myself an injustice by being unhappy.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 11, 2011