What do think about this bill, and would you be willing to contact your Rep. about it?

http://www.theorator.com/bills/text/hr440.html

thankyou in advance for your responses

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 8:06 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Of the amounts made available for ‘Diplomatic and Consular Programs’ for fiscal years 2011 through 2015, the Secretary of State shall provide to the Special Envoy $1,000,000 for each such fiscal year for the hiring of staff, for the conduct of investigations, and for necessary travel to carry out the provisions of this Act.

No.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Personally, I'd prefer our government keep their nose out of others business. We have enough problems with this in our own country and are not handling it very well. I just heard about Saudi Arabia telling Obama he's better ease up and not "tarnish" Mubarak as well as them basically telling Biden to shut up with his opinions because they were not helping matters in Egypt. Not the same issue but the same problem of America butting in.
    I'd definitely contact my representatives and tell them NO to supporting this bill
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• So, an ambassador will be going to represent Christians? Christians are in the minority in the regions mentioned. What will something like this help? Will the majority listen? Have they ever listened?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• If I contact my rep it would be to suggest voting no. It's very 'feel good', but I feel that this would be a doorway to supporting other countries and their 'economic and security needs' when we don't have the money to do it. I don't know that it's our place. In a perfect world these religious minorities wouldn't need protection, but it is what it is. Not to mention that it will all be determined by the POTUS, which would automatically make some not agree with his choices. Now, if he chose some of the usual suspects, I might be in favor (just kidding - mostly).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:33 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• My computer is screaming at me for trying to use your link and shows the site as dangerous. Here's a link for it direct from congress:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d112:440:./list/bss/d112HR.lst:@@@L&summ2=m&

And I think it's a nice sentiment, if it were legitimate.  But, since I seriously question its legitimacy, I really don't think Christianity needs any help infiltrating the last bastion of the planet it hasn't yet totally infected.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• clarification~ No.. I don't support...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Hell to the NO would be my answer
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Okie Dokie then....what a waste of $$ we don't have, especially in those areas of the world. Are there atrocities happening there based on religion, you betcha.

Several of the Anthropologists I work with have spent their entire careers in Cambodia, Flores, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, what goes on there makes the Middle East look like a childs playground. So why stop at the countries listed, lets just Big Brother the entire civilized world.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 12:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Good grief, with so many issues in our own country why in the world are they trying to stick their nose in with outher counties? Yes, I would be willing to contact our rep and ask him to vote NO on this stupid bill.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:52 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• And I think it's a nice sentiment, if it were legitimate. But, since I seriously question its legitimacy, I really don't think Christianity needs any help infiltrating the last bastion of the planet it hasn't yet totally infected.

Answer by NotPanicking

I agree with this. I think the impact it would make isn't worth $1,000,000 a year.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:40 AM on Feb. 10, 2011