i've got a digger.

my 7 month old pit mix puppy has finally discovered she can dig in the dirt in the back yard. she has also decided she likes to chew on the fence. i need some suggestions on how 2 get her 2 stop being so destructive before it gets out of hand, or she gets out of the backyard.

ireshgurl

Asked by ireshgurl at 4:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Pets

• there is this stuff at like petsmart that will help with the chewing called bitter apple. hopefully it helps and your pet wont be one of the oddballs who actually likes the taste of it lol
    sweetpeatexas21

Answer by sweetpeatexas21 at 5:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• It sounds like first things first you should be getting the pup into obedience classes. If you can get her to listen to you then she's much less likely to do the things she isn't supposed to do, especially when punishment is given for her actions.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:36 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I'd definately check out the bitter apple for the fence posts. But in the meantime I would not leave her outside without someone being right there to discipline her if she starts digging. Also, it will prevent her from getting out of the yard and possibly hurting herself or someone else or causing damage to someone else's property - all of which you'd be liable for. A tired dog is a well beahved dog. It sounds like she needs some serious exercise and behavior training.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 11:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• If she is digging in the same places you can put her own poop in the holes. MOST dogs do not like to touch thier own poop so they do not continue to dig. (This has always work with my digger) But other thsn that she probably needs long walks to ware her out so she is not bored.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• This takes a little work. Go out with the dog. Offer her plenty of dog-appropriate toys. When she starts chewing or digging, take her away from it and take her to her toys. This will make her realize what is appropriate to play with, and discourage the other behavior.
    catlee2127

Answer by catlee2127 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• well, i should have mentioned a few things also. i do take her out for excersise daily. we go 2 the dog park for atleast an hour and she plays hard, comes home, then crashes out. she has lots of toys in the backyard 2 play wit including chew bones, and i'm training her myself as i have a lot of experiance wit dogs, just not diggers. she does every command we ask of her and have trained her 2. the only time she digs and chews the fence is when we're not back there wit her. she knows she shouldn't b doing it. lol. but will try both the bitter apple and burying her poop. anything 2 get her 2 stop.
    ireshgurl

Answer by ireshgurl at 4:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• We adopted a lab a couple of months ago. She is a little over 1 year old. We learned fast that she was a chewer & a digger. We never had this problem with our other labs. Our back yard is fenced in, but part of the fence has lattice at the bottom because the ground is uneven. Our dog chewed her way out through the lattice so we had to put chicken wire up. So far so good. We also bought her a Kong toy that is filled with treats. She still has chewed up some things, but she spends a lot of time trying to chew up the toy to get to the treats; so far it has lasted. I have yet to learn how to stop the digging. We have a few craters in our back yard. She also gets plenty of exercise & activity, but she still has her "issues". I feel for you. Good luck.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• My dogs are on a 50 ft tether in the back yard if they need to be outside without me, that way there is no chance of digging under the fence. It's hard to train away a behavior that only happens when you're gone!
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I have a 129 pound old nglish who loves to dig. Put his poop in the holes and wala no more digging there, tried and true.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 3:07 AM on Jul. 10, 2008