Unemployment jumps

Why is unemployment rates for vets, most of whom are OIF and OEF combat vets, jumping so high if the overall unemployment rate is falling?

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/02/military-unemployment-veterans-january-020411w/

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 8:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Because the army isn't fudging its numbers like the admin is fudging theirs?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:17 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• how does a combat troop veteran transition to civie employment? Any skills there for a civie job? I dunno,someone tell me.
    IMO when a young person enlists they better choose a field that will transition well and is needed, or stay in for 30. I don't see how a combat experienced young man with no other experience will get a job anywhere other than security, police or fire depts.
    DH tries to hire as many ex Navy as he can, very few resume's come in and very few show up for interview prepared. The Officers do however. Job listings in Navynews go unanswered and headhunters don't provide much of a resource either. Classifieds in navy towns are better but even still, very few naval engineers or engineering snipes respond.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:53 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• I think that it has to do with 'skill sets'. Men and women returning from 12-18 months of deployment are 12-18 months behind in their skills. In this market, I think the employers are picking those who have been recently employed or who have been out of work only a short time. Is this right? No. Is it possible? I think yes. How do we fix it? Some refresher classes, recertification courses and such might help.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:54 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• The unemployment rate isnt really falling. The stats they use are based off the people currently collecting unemployment. They do not even take into consideration the millions who no longer collect or those seriously underemployed. I think with the vets it is probably calculated correctly because they use a different way or method to keep up with the unemployment rate. Overall though this country is in the toilet. There are not enough jobs because of outsourcing, and those who can hire do not feel secure in the environment to hire anyone on full time.

Answer by gemgem at 8:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Someone tell me how these young men and women don't qualify

They are YOUNG... All YOUNG people are competing with OLDER, MORE EXPERIENCED individuals for the same job...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• In previous wars, manufacturing was still king. A combat veteran could get out, go back home to momma and daddy would get him hired on at the mill or at the plant. That's NOT happening today. Nobody is saying anything about their personality or loyalty or " kind", the veterans in the past didn't need job skills. They just needed to show up everyday and learn a NEW job in the civilian world. Employers take their greatest risks and highest payout losses with hiring and firing, and making a mistake from the get go just doesn't cut it with the economic situation today. A prospective employee today has to be flexible, multi skilled, and up to date while agreeable to less pay and more hours. It's just a fact of life right now for all of us, not just vets.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:59 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• And I have to wonder, HOW many people (overall) are being too picky and holding out for the 'right' job?

----
    BINGO
    This aint 2005 anymore people. You're not naming your salary and you're not living in a huge house anymore. Reality bites baby, but there ARE jobs out there, maybe you just need some help or assistance in seeing what is available or cleaning up the resume to highlight what your future capabilities in the private sector really are. Combat vets who need jobs, don't need to be applying where they aren't skilled. JMHO
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:30 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• The military is on a BUDGET.... They are reducing force size left and right.... The more people they let go, the higher the unemployment numbers will be....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• http://www.bop.gov/jobs/index.jsp

Here, they are hiring.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:18 AM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Then I see news articles like this one,

"[O]ne telemarketing company, One Touch Direct, is finding it surprisingly hard to fill 200 open sales jobs. The company has recently placed five billboards around the Tampa area recruiting job candidates because it's not generating enough applicants through job postings or job agencies."

And I have to wonder, HOW many people (overall) are being too picky and holding out for the 'right' job?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 10, 2011