What does a fatty tumor look like?

My 7 year old dog has a golfsize growth on her leg it does not seem to bother her but it bothers me...a few months ago it was just there now it looks like it has turned black. It is movable like if I grab it it looks like I can actually cut (detach) it with some scissors but I don't want her to bleed to death and it is so expensive taking her to the vet. What to do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pets

• I've been a vet tech til 2nd son came along. Fatty tumors are whites in color (under the skin) and are squisy movable and not attached to muscle. Cancer growths are usally hard and difficult to move. black is never a good sign. If it has grown in size shape or color then yes your dog should be seen by a vet. Call and make an apt. Know there will be the office visit cost and the price for a needle biopsy. They'll look @ the skin cells under microscope. You're probably looking @ about $150 - $500 on the high side. It all depends on where you live. 9 out of 10 times they can tell you what it is w/o doing surgery. They'll ALWAYS recommend that you have it removed and sent off. Ask if you can make payments. Offer 1/2 up front and then payments every month after. Show that you want to PAY. Usually the doc will work something out w/ you. Good luck and Godspeed.
    just1moment

Answer by just1moment at 4:14 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• If it is black and dangeling you need to have it removed by your vet. Call and ask your vet how much it will be . I know it is expensive to go to the vet but you need to know if it is a fatty tumor or cancer. Either way it needs to be removed and if you cut it off with out knowing what it is, your dog could get infections or if it is cancer it can spread. Sorry that is all I know to tell you. Good luck, and God speed.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Absolutely get him in to see the vet. Fatty tumors are usually under the skin and freely mobile (not attached), but when you said it's turning black, that is very concerning for cancer. Please take him in and never, EVER try to do something like that yourself. That is very dangerous and extremely painful.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 3:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2008